Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Home Game Ethics Question

No reason to feel bad. He had the same info you did and could have easily figured out what you were doing and stacked you.

I'm all for letting rules slide against friends like string raises and such but you were just playing poker here. Like I said, if he played poker that hand he could have sent you to the rail.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Even if it was just rapping the table, this is a POKER GAME, tell him you want to teach him a new game, it's called "paying attention to wtf is going on". His fault for missing the action. Obviously he wasn't paying attention, "where did that 5 come from?". I wouldn't feel bad, even though, yes, technically, it was a dick move, hey, he's that annoying "what?" guy, so he deserves it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 PM

3. If he spoke up before you acted on the river, then I think it's fine for him to take back the bet and decide what to do no that he sees the whole board. It's also fine for you to try and bluff him now.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:10 AM

Definitely #1, unless it was there was some ambiguity about the fact that he checked the turn (which it doesn't sound like there was). Like others have said, you realized the situation and took advantage. If he had done the same and called you, would he have given the money back? Not bloody likely.

Friendly game or not, you've got to draw the line somewhere. Especially since you said you thought for 3 minutes before pushing. He and the other players had all the time in the world to offer a friendly resolution to his mistake.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...but we take it seriously and try to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on that I don't see how you did anything wrong. You made a good read and a great play and it was you who was putting your tourney life on the line with what you knew 100% was the worst hand.

I see people do things with their fingers and hands that look like obvious checks and then they act surprised when they lose the action but that's their fault, not yours.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:34 AM

#1 absolutely. Being aware of what's going on is part of the game and if your friend didn't realize the river had been dealt that's his fault. I understand how you might feel bad about taking down the pot, but in my opinion its better than rewarding his mistake by not playing back at him.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 PM

1. If he checked, he checked. Your pot.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:00 PM

He definitely checked the turn, so too bad so sad. However, he noticed his error before you acted, so I'd have let him reconsider his bet. But no way does the river card go back.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was pretty upset, but he definately checked and several other players saw it. I honestly believe it was an innocent mistake, he was upset and I hate that cause we're all trying to have fun and are friends.

Anyway with this info I am positive he has KQ for top two (confirmed later), but there is a four flush and a TON of chips in the pot relative to where stack sizes were. I thought for like 3 minutes and pushed all in over the 800. He thinks for a minute and disgustedly folds.

I felt bad about taking advantage of a mistake against a friend,

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm.... why? You made a play, nothing wrong with it. Unless it would wreck the atmosphere of the game, the move is acceptable.

So, #1 gets another vote.

[ QUOTE ]
and even worse when I won the tourney later when HU with another player we got all in in a coinflip and I was about to ship the pot to the other player when someone pointed out I caught a wierd straight on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

More details needed- did you table the hand after betting was done, and not notice? In that case, they should have pointed out the hand.

If someone who saw your hand pointed it out, but it wasn't tabled, then MAJOR no-no.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, he noticed his error before you acted, so I'd have let him reconsider his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That probably would have been the best thing for me to do now that I think about it (in the context of our friendly game). Let him take back the bet, but still go all in and take away the rest of the pot.