Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Default 55+5 5 handed, 1010 overcall?

Sorry if this is a basic question, im more of a cash player who is bored and has been trying out sngs. Anyways, is this a call or a fold? I can see arguments for both, I'll post my thoughts after a couple replies.

Table '54571426 1' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: greggll (1525 in chips)
Seat 6: bmm83 (4325 in chips)
Seat 7: Boku87 (4630 in chips)
Seat 8: martin-king (865 in chips)
Seat 9: velosity64 (2155 in chips)
greggll: posts the ante 25
bmm83: posts the ante 25
Boku87: posts the ante 25
martin-king: posts the ante 25
velosity64: posts the ante 25
greggll: posts small blind 200
bmm83: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bmm83 [Ts Tc]
Boku87: raises 4205 to 4605 and is all-in
martin-king: folds
velosity64: folds
greggll: calls 1300 and is all-in
bmm83:?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: 55+5 5 handed, 1010 overcall?

nah drop that--fold!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM

shortstack could have anything and i wouldnt worry about him, but you need to determine a likely range of hands for Boku87. I know nothing about this guy other than ive seen his name on a bunch of sng leaderboards. therefore he's prob pushing semi wide like 66+, AT+, A9s

.....unfortunately im really just kinda putting in a range that I would likely push here which isnt how your supposed to go about things, but ive never played this guy...
i dont have sngpt on this comp so i cant do the calcs, but im almost sure TT would be ahead of the range i just guessed.

I think its really close though i doubt hed push AA, KK here, soooooooo im calling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shortstack could have anything and i wouldnt worry about him, but you need to determine a likely range of hands for Boku87. I know nothing about this guy other than ive seen his name on a bunch of sng leaderboards. therefore he's prob pushing semi wide like 66+, AT+, A9s

.....unfortunately im really just kinda putting in a range that I would likely push here which isnt how your supposed to go about things, but ive never played this guy...
i dont have sngpt on this comp so i cant do the calcs, but im almost sure TT would be ahead of the range i just guessed.

I think its really close though i doubt hed push AA, KK here, soooooooo im calling [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, boku can show with just about anything in this spot. I guess he tightens up a bit since it is 5 handed but his range is still huge, 22+ A2+, suited connectors, KT, etc. Don't be surprised to see T8o either. Easy call with TT. Also, if he failed to notice it was 5-handed and thought it was the bubble he could be on ATC.

Has sharkscope come up with a new leaderboard for the crappiest players? He is like on a $25K downswing playing the 60's. I'm begining to think he is Rainkhan.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Fold. It is -0.6% if they are both on the top 50%. Everyone says he gets out of line but I've never seen it. Small sample though.

JJ is close (about even against 30/14) and QQ should be a clear call. When you are 5-handed and have a big stack, you have to play really [censored] tight in 3-way pots against the other big stack. You have to play even tighter then you would on the bubble against the same players. If you come in 2nd in a 5-handed game you get nothing where you have to come in last to get nothing on the bubble. So you need (roughly) 10-12% more equity in a 5-handed game then you do on the bubble. In this spot you need about 47% equity but you might only need 37% if it were the bubble (by removing one of the shorter stacks).
Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. Calling was my first instinct, especially given the opponent... also, boku was being especially aggro as well during this session. I figured it was a standard call against this type of opponent, considering that I would easily dominate the table easily if I won. In the hand i instacalled and lost to a9 and a8, but looking back on it I wanted to make sure it wasnt a spew vs his range.