Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: deadlift advice

I'll take video directly from the side next time.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Sounds fine. Steve Justa's singles program works very well for deadlifts by the way in case you've never tried it.

http://www.appliedstrength.com/a_programming.html
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM

try using Deadlift straps (for a while) if it's your wrist/forearm strength that's slowing you down
Old 07-04-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
try using Deadlift straps (for a while) if it's your wrist/forearm strength that's slowing you down

[/ QUOTE ]

WORST ADVICE EVAR111!!!

Use chalk, if your forearm strength is slowing you down they'll get stronger, but not if you use straps!!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WORST ADVICE EVAR111!!!

Use chalk, if your forearm strength is slowing you down they'll get stronger, but not if you use straps!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is an issue in this case, but that is a total meathead attitude. There is no reason that someone should let their DL lag because their grip strength is a weak point. Obvi. you should work to build up your grip strength, but in the meantime if you need to use straps to max out, [censored] use them.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 AM

My attitude has always been, if I can't pick it up without a belt or straps then what's the point? I go to the gym to train functional strength. There isn't anything functional about pulling up a pile of weight with your arms. By the same token I don't use machines as a rule, and do exercises that can be done standing up, standing up. Train your whole body, and your whole body will get strong. If that's a meathead attitude then ship me some short shorts and call me Tiny!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:05 AM

Looks good to me dethgrind. The only comment I'd have is that you round your back some on the way down, especially right at the very end of a rep before the bar hits the floor. This is pretty common, but it can get you hurt if you're not careful.

Also, I'm with Smiley on the straps.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM

slickpoppa,

Almost everyone can max more with straps. I know that when I strain a forearm (Or do fat bar, and realize by the 3rd set my forearms are useless) and put the straps on that magically I can pull my little heart out.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 PM

I can see where smiley's comin from, and I disagree.

If your grip/finger strength is the limiting factor, why should your legs and back not get maximal tension? Of course functional strength is great, but so is getting the most out of your lift. I injured two fingers on my right hand playing basketball some weeks ago, and I couldn't handle d-lifting the weights I was used to; straps came to the rescue. Even in the absence of an injury, if using straps means your hamstrings and lower back are going to get 70lbs of more stimulation, go for it.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM

My views on straps and other assistance equipment stem at least partly from the same place as my views on isolation movements. Your body needs to function as a unit, not a hodge podge of pieces. When you strengthen some parts too quickly for others too keep up, you're just asking for trouble.