Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: SuitedSixes: The Movin\' on Up Quest

66s:

1) I think that such a challenge is an ok thing to do. You already have a lot of experience and you don't use your roll for it, so I don't think that you are risking too much or something. It's more like a crashcourse in NL Cash Games. ABA used a different BR management that could come in handy as soon as you get up to 50NL or so: he took shots of 3BIs at a higher level as soon as he had 15 BIs for that level. So he'd take a shot of $300 at 100NL as soon as he had $1500 in his roll etc. He specifies his strategy in his well post which is linked in the essentials.

2) Shortstacks: there are two types of short stacks, actually. Those, who just don't have enough money and who you shouldn't give much credit for a hand. And those who play a short stack strategy and will come up with JJ+, AK, AQ, KQs virtually all the time. Adjusting is usually pretty easy: fold unless there is a nice sidepot against a bad player. But you should know that if you have played such a strategy for such a long time.

3) Tournament principles often do not really apply: you don't need to stack someone to get closer to the money. So don't try all the time. If you think he will call a smaller value bet for an increased overall profit then don't try to stack him just because you are used to. Don't expect people to check it down when someone is all-in. Accordingly: value bet that third player to make a nice sidepot etc.

4) Chips don't lose value. Every blind that you put in the middle lightly, everytime you look someone up out of curiosity you have to remember that you need to win every chip back. It's not that you can be a little careless in early stages, because you know how to double up in the middle stages or something. The blinds don't increase so the average pot size will always be pretty similar throughout the whole game.

Maybe this helps.

And yeah: there is nothing more satisfying in poker than figuring one player out and crushing him. When everything falls into place and the read is spot on and you rake in the pot, that's awesome.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: SuitedSixes: The Movin\' on Up Quest

Hey best of luck I made the conversion from a successful SNG player to cash a few weeks ago and have been going okay. This swings are tough to deal with but you really just have to get your grind suit on and tough it all out.

I miss SNGs - but as you said, it is important to really learn how to play poker so I enjoy cash games more for this reason. It definitly is a challenge but an exciting one.

Best of luck.