Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Large THEFT! Rio Hotel Las Vegas 6/29/07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What this tells me and they admit fault. Of course I am not going to take $750.00 dollars when $32,0000 was stolen. Please someone tell me that I am crazy that a Hotel chain such as Harrah's is better then this??? I have spoke to 2 top law firms here in Vegas and they both said that since they are offering a settlement they admit fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ask to see the law school credentials of any lawyer who tells you this. Settlement discussions can't be used to demonstrate fault. There's good policy-based reasons for this as well >> Think about it: how would 2 parties ever discuss a potential settlement if one of them could always just get up from the bargaining table and announce "hah, the fact that you offered me anything at all demonstrates that you're admitting some culpability here so pay up the full amount."

Based on what little I actually know about the situation from your post(s), it doesn't look to me like Harrah's has admitted to anything. Be sure the lawyers you contact aren't just telling you this to bolster how strong they think your case is so that you'll retain them. I'm sure it's not the first time they're dealing with a situation like this.

***For what it's worth, i'm staying in the Rio right now and went over to look at my safe and there's a big pink sticker on the front that's impossible to miss that says <font color="blue"> "LIMITS OF LIABILITY, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY -- THE LIMIT OF LIABILITY ON FORCIBLE ENTRY OF THE SAFE IS $10,000 -- IN ADDITION PLEASE REFER TO THE GENERAL LIMITATION LIABILITY AS POSTED IN THIS SUITE </font>

I then went to read the posted general limitation of liability, posted right next to the safe, which talks about the $750 limit, but based on my reading of it, it looks like that $750 limit only applies to items NOT stored in the safe, and then there's that $10,000 liability limit that's posted in big pink letters right on the safe itself. That's my interpretation of it anyway, and if Harrah's is really only offering you $750, you need to inform them that some suites (like mine) have a big sticker showing a $10K limit to liability, so u should at the very least be able to get 10K back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can see the pics from the safe in my blog and the safe I had in my room has no disclosure on it at all, only instruction on how to lock it in blue. Thanks for the info !Does the sticker look new ? As they could of recently put those up .
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
were the wraps on the 10k stacks ripped? if not, then you are guilty! i know this because I saw it on CSI, and they said it was impossible to slip the wraps off stacks of bills, because bending a 10k stack of 100's is a superhuman feat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard. The wraps are sticky and they restick easily. And it's very easy to get a 10k wrap off of a 10k stack of 100's. The Amazon room cage trash is full of unripped 5 and 10k wraps. And the thief took the time to leave behind $100 behind if you read the whole thing.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I came back to my room not long after session 1 or 2 to get my camera, opened my room and noticed my safe was open and in lock position

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There was damage to the door and they are still running the key codes to the door, Why it's taking so long I don't know. It was a forced entry anyway so that is why it's hard to tell when the thief broke in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be the Devil's advocate but how come you didn't mention that your door was forced open in your original post? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sounds like in your orignal post you opened the door and didn't notice anything until you saw your safe was open, but in another post you said that there was forced entry which should have been noticeable when you first opened your door. Maybe you just forgot to mention that part?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Sounds like a scam.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM

I just googled hotel safes, and discovered that they have
a "master code which you can use to open the safe at any time."

Boy does that SUCK! Ive heard other similiar stories,
so sounds like its the cage downstairs for me!

Also heard of laptops being hacked while plugged into
hotel network...I now use a dial-up ISP instead.

Hope you get your $ back.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Legally you are most likely screwed. The fine print somewhere (on the door?) says the safe is insured for only $750 and that is all the hotel is responsible for. If you did not know this, thats your fault.

Your only chance is the 'shame on them for treating customers like this' angle. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so completely irrelevant if Harrah's is found at fault by negligence. That's essentially what he needs to prove, and if he does Harrah's just pays the bill out there pocket instead of being bailed out by insurance.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:44 PM

Rakeking,

i hate thieves!!!

if i had a time machine i would go back and beat this low life piece of scum to within inches of his life with a ballpean hammer

it sounds like an insider job. some employee told a friend that you took that much loot up to your room.

we had break ins at our gym and the police found out that the front desk guy was the lookout.

kill these pieces of garbage, now!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Try googling "hotel safe robbed" and you'll get all kinds
of hits...Nice artice at the NY TIMES.

Sounds like you'll need a lawyer specializing in hotel
liability, not gambling.

This quote could be the key! to your situation:

Hotels need master keys or codes to open them in case a
guest loses the key or forgets the code.
But they also have an obligation to ensure that these
do not fall into the wrong hands.

The point being, if they physically broke into the
safe, you may be out of luck...But if they used
a master key/code, I would think you have a better
case.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a scam.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What this tells me and they admit fault. Of course I am not going to take $750.00 dollars when $32,0000 was stolen. Please someone tell me that I am crazy that a Hotel chain such as Harrah's is better then this??? I have spoke to 2 top law firms here in Vegas and they both said that since they are offering a settlement they admit fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would ask to see the law school credentials of any lawyer who tells you this. Settlement discussions can't be used to demonstrate fault. There's good policy-based reasons for this as well &gt;&gt; Think about it: how would 2 parties ever discuss a potential settlement if one of them could always just get up from the bargaining table and announce "hah, the fact that you offered me anything at all demonstrates that you're admitting some culpability here so pay up the full amount."

Based on what little I actually know about the situation from your post(s), it doesn't look to me like Harrah's has admitted to anything. Be sure the lawyers you contact aren't just telling you this to bolster how strong they think your case is so that you'll retain them. I'm sure it's not the first time they're dealing with a situation like this.

***For what it's worth, i'm staying in the Rio right now and went over to look at my safe and there's a big pink sticker on the front that's impossible to miss that says <font color="blue"> "LIMITS OF LIABILITY, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY -- THE LIMIT OF LIABILITY ON FORCIBLE ENTRY OF THE SAFE IS $10,000 -- IN ADDITION PLEASE REFER TO THE GENERAL LIMITATION LIABILITY AS POSTED IN THIS SUITE </font>

I then went to read the posted general limitation of liability, posted right next to the safe, which talks about the $750 limit, but based on my reading of it, it looks like that $750 limit only applies to items NOT stored in the safe, and then there's that $10,000 liability limit that's posted in big pink letters right on the safe itself. That's my interpretation of it anyway, and if Harrah's is really only offering you $750, you need to inform them that some suites (like mine) have a big sticker showing a $10K limit to liability, so u should at the very least be able to get 10K back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can see the pics from the safe in my blog and the safe I had in my room has no disclosure on it at all, only instruction on how to lock it in blue. Thanks for the info !Does the sticker look new ? As they could of recently put those up .

[/ QUOTE ]

PS: they just moved me to a new room b/c the old one smelled bad, and the safe in my NEW room has no sticker disclosure on it (just the same blue-sticker with instructions.) My old room was in the Masquerade tower, but new one is in the Ipanema tower. The 10K sticker in the old suite did not look new...a little tattered and worn.

But I can't see the hotel arguing that *only* safes with the pink $10K liability sticker on them qualify for the 10K 'insurance'. The only sticking point i can imagine is the issue of 'forcible entry'. Did CSI or the police confirm that the safe was opened 'forcibly'?? I don't know what the burden of proof would be there -- if they have evidence of 'forcible' entry into the room (e.g. busted door), that would probably be enough to satisfy the requirement, but i'm not sure.

I feel pretty confident that you should be able to get at LEAST 10K back, based on the solid evidence you have of getting 40K in front money from your host. If Joe Shmoe just claimed that 32K was stolen from him from his hotel safe, it would be a little murkier, but you seem to be able to provide as solid a paper trail as possible that yes, the money did exist, and was stolen from your safe.