Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Default KK big pot

This hand is from a donktastic live 20/40.

I am somewhere in MP with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG raises, UTG is a donk, but not the sort of donk that usually raises with nothing, although he might if he were in a mood.

UTG+1 3 bets, UTG+1 is the sort of donk that would 3-bet with nothing, I put him on two cards, but only because I can see both of them.

I cap.

Button who is mediocre but not insane cold calls 4 bets, I'm surprised.

SB calls, saying he is "half-in", BB can't fault that logic and calls as well. All call, 6 to the flop for 24SB.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Ugh, can't get much worse than that.

Checked to me I check button stares at me for a second and checks.

Turn is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB calls, UTG raises, I 3-bet....

Who likes or hates the flop check?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: KK big pot

I hate it. Capping preflop and checking the flop is weak IMO. 4 players have already checked, fire away. Granted this isn't a great flop for KK but your probably still ahead. Giving a free card here is terrible. Try to clear the field a bit and hope you get the button on the turn which would be helpfull.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:02 PM

I checked because I thought everyone would just call me on the flop, and I could clear the field on the turn. Getting rid of Ax or 33 would certainly be nice, but even they are correct to take one off here. So its the trade off of being able to protect our hand far better on the turn, versus the chance that button or sb or something might raise and give us a tiny bit of protection.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM

i wouldnt raise if i got bet into, but if no one bets, you should bet the flop.

plus some goof might decide to CR with a hand like 99 on the flop and then you might get protection anyways.

everyone just got infinite odds.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Good play... one that people rarely make.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good play... one that people rarely make.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM

We must protect our Big Pair, My Preshusssss....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Nh. Now river the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] & buy a yacht with your winnings.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 PM

SSHE talks about this a bit. If the pot gets too big, there's no way you can protect your hand on the flop, so you have to wait until the turn to fire out 2+ big bets, then that at least protects you to some degree on the river.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SSHE talks about this a bit. If the pot gets too big, there's no way you can protect your hand on the flop, so you have to wait until the turn to fire out 2+ big bets, then that at least protects you to some degree on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh woh, did you get that bit wrong. Nowhere do they state you should not bet the flop. They state that, in some cases, you should not raise the flop when the bettor is to your immediate right because you still give everybody odds and it bloats the pot. Instead, you should just call and hope he bets out again on the turn and then raise him. However, when you can not confidently make this turn raise, or you're not in good position to face the field with 2 on the turn, you should just try to get the most money in the pot when ahead and raise.

That is honestly the most debated little part of SSHE, and I wonder why they put it in there. It's so out of line with the rest of the book; they might as well have described a specific play in a blind stealing situation. I hardly ever make this play. The only situation that comes close is when I have a similar hand as here, BB bets out and get like 3 or 4 callers and it's left to me. In that case I often just call, instead of raising, to await the action and card on the turn. But that's primarily because I'm unsure whether I'm really ahead. (would you be sure about being ahead, you must raise there)