Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Swings in omaha

[ QUOTE ]
I usually have daily swings of about 4bi's, but this week has been really sick... i mean i had a sick upswing of about 15 buyins in .5/1 PLO in 2 days. then i started playing yesterday and got coolered like crazy so now i'm back to where i started before the huge rush if not lower, so 4 buyins is really nothing out of the ordinary. of course the swings depend on the style of play, if u play your sets and draws aggressively, then there is nothing u can do about the swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to think about it constructively. Let's assume you are a break even player who is aggressive and finds yourself in many situations where give or take a little, you're flipping a coin. Once every 8 days you play, you will sit down and lose the first 3 coin flips and find yourself 3 buyins down.

Now if being 3 buyins down causes you to tilt, then you may lose another 2 buyins before you quit in disgust.
However if you win 3 buyins at the start of the session, you wont go on reverse-tilt, where you win even more. So the only aspect for you that keeps you being a break even player is not tilting.
If you can work on the bankroll management side of your game and the tilt control, you will find Omaha is an extremely pleasant game that can be beaten.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Omaha can be a sick game, last night I took a 8 buy-in swing within a matter of hours. I attribute about two of those buy-in to bad play but the others were just sickening. I have pocket aces and flop the boat only go up against quads. I lose 3 times with sets to a naked flush draw. I have top boat again, money gets in on the turn and the last card gives the guy with trips quads.

This [censored] happens in this game so if your going to play make sure you have a deep bankroll.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try to think about it constructively. Let's assume you are a break even player who is aggressive and finds yourself in many situations where give or take a little, you're flipping a coin. Once every 8 days you play, you will sit down and lose the first 3 coin flips and find yourself 3 buyins down.

Now if being 3 buyins down causes you to tilt, then you may lose another 2 buyins before you quit in disgust.
However if you win 3 buyins at the start of the session, you wont go on reverse-tilt, where you win even more. So the only aspect for you that keeps you being a break even player is not tilting.
If you can work on the bankroll management side of your game and the tilt control, you will find Omaha is an extremely pleasant game that can be beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this to me. This "reverse-tilt" that you say doesn't exist is actually something I'd consider a pretty common phenomenon. It's called tilting your opponents. In fact, if you're a solid winner who's been playing online for quite a while, you may find that it's much easier for you to tilt your opponents (sometimes after a loss of only 1 buy-in) then it is for them to tilt you.

Besides, nittiness isn't just about avoiding exact coinflips where you have no edge whatsoever. The term "nitty" implies that people are explicitly sacrificing value to reduce variance. Therefore, being a nit can also turn someone who could be winning good money at Omaha into a breakeven player.

Basically, what I'm saying is that your hypothetical is pretty pointless and I think you constructed an extremely pointless and convoluted argument just to extol the virtues of nittiness.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM

I'm saying nittiness helps some people. It doesn't help me because i'm fine with big swings in sessions. But other don't have the mindset to deal with bad streaks, even though they are good players in most other aspects of the game.
If a player is winning through nitty play, I don't see any reason to change the way he plays until he stops being able to win like that.
It's certainly not the most profitable way to win, but life would be dull if we all played the same style.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing much, everything's already been said before so I'm just gonna say words.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 AM

I have been 4-6 tabling 1-2 blinds 6max games, and I have taken 3 twenty buyin plus downswings in one month. This is part of the game and is why in your main game you should have a roll of 40 buyins minimum. I can sustain a 4-5k net loss because I am a winning player and play with a big roll in relation to the stakes, which greatly cuts back on tilt. Fortunately following each of said downswings I went on heaters and got all that money back within at most 5 longer sessions.
I think a big part of beating this game with an aggressive style is being willing to push small edges and not back down in a variety of likely coinflip situations, depending on stack sizes and the player. In 6max particularly being nitty to point of predictability is not the best way to beat the game, but if you know the fishes you can still definitely be a winning player playing very tight at the lower levels.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing much, everything's already been said before so I'm just gonna say words.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM

Something to think about in the micros, is that avoiding flips may be necessary in the long run. If the pot is small, all of the dead money (and more) will get sucked into the rake, so the flips have reduced if not -EV. I personally can't lay the monsters down because there are so many idiots and how do you know, but rest assured, when you are actually flipping, you end up losing $0.25 to $1.75'ish (depending on your edge in the flip) due to rake. So sometimes, I just call when the other guy is pretty readable, or when I think my equity is on the low side of a flip. However, I really think there are a lot of flips that I made that in hindsight I should have avoided.

I think you need to be playing at least $50 buy-ins to avoid this. I guess this isn't relevant to most of this forum, but I do see a few posters at my tables here and there.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:55 PM

I think ribbo is just trying to say that for some people, nittiness is +EV. The slight EV they might sacrifice by being nitty is more than made up for by them tilting less.

I think if you have a tilt problem, maybe PLO isn't your game?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:46 PM

What constitutes nittiness (I play .25/.5 up to 1/2 PLO 6 max)?

On all three levels my vp$ip is about 25 and my pf raise% is 6-10%.