Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Poker brings out the ugly side in people right?

[ QUOTE ]

I play lower limits 50NL full ring and i hear a lot of cursing stuff going on. Even in the 11 dollar sngs people start typing die die etc to other players. And other players in the table just go lol, go away which does make me mad a bit because the losing player is probably real furious right now and who knows what he will do next at home i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do see a lot more of this at the lower levels, I put it down to the fact that most players at these levels have picked up and read the same books, because of this they all play in the same unimaginitve way (guilty myself at times). So the first time someone shows down something other than a premium hand its, you can't do that the book says it's wrong.

It does'nt help either that the players at these levels think because of what they've read their professionals without the bankroll. I had someone telling me how to play and slating me in the chat box once and it was only a $4 MTT, but at the time I hadn't been playing long and it knocked me sideways.

You also have to remember a large proportion of players are quite young and haven't the maturity to handle themselves properly yet, especially when they have roll models like Helmuth, Matusow, Tony.G etc.

Unfortunately it's these types of players that also get more airtime on televised tournaments.

The online and live policies regarding inappropriate behaviour are also to slack at the moment to distract from doing it,chat bans or time away from the tables aren't going to put an end to the behaviour.

Some may say it's part of the game getting someone to tilt because it gives them an egde ,but the best players are capable of beating weaker players without tilting them.

I don't know if or how many agree with my view but I think the people that genuinely want to progress in poker realize that it's a part of the game they don't need and we can live without.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM

When I take bad beats at home I gaybash my opponents, swear, and chuck stuff. Actual temper tantrums worse than my 2 year old throws. I feel better and move on. I don't ever go on tilt. B&M bad beats, I smile and no one would ever know it bothers me. This is an ugly side in both ways, but no one ever knows. You need a release that works for you and helps you avoid tilt or any adjustments in playing winning poker.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

I had this guy all mad at me today at the uNL tables on stars I had raised 4x the bb for the past 3 or 4 hands and he was getting livid. I raise the next hand with pocket 4's and flop a set and stack him and he justified calling with K6 by saying he just kept raising somebody had to teach him.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had this guy all mad at me today at the uNL tables on stars I had raised 4x the bb for the past 3 or 4 hands and he was getting livid. I raise the next hand with pocket 4's and flop a set and stack him and he justified calling with K6 by saying he just kept raising somebody had to teach him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love when this happens.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 AM

I play sngs, sometimes I get pissed and type [censored]. I'm working on it. It's a good indicator to quit if I start getting mad. It's bad for business too, no sense teaching the fish. I'm much better then when I started although I need alot of work on this issue.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM

i feel like somtimes it just get so bad with how im running that i cant help but type in the random "wow" or "awesome" when some guy calls half his stack with 85 because the were s00ted and proceeds to hit a running flush after i flopped top pair with my aces lol
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So does anyone agree with the statement that it brings out that poker brings out the ugly side in some people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I agree.

Colima420
Old 07-04-2007, 06:34 AM

Mickii, why do you behave so differently online? Is it just the anoymity? I think that is a bigger problem than the poker, and the internet standards are now invading B+M more. Internet conduct in general is sketchy. People are so much ruder on the internet than they would be in person. Like the other person isn't real, and doesn't have the same feelings? In person, they might have an arguement, but it would be civilized, they wouldn't get personal. I really wish there would be some peer pressure for this to tone down. People making death threats, it's not cool.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:40 PM

Yes, Poker (winning or losing) CAN bring out the worst in some folks, but like the old saying says: Poker doesn't build character, it reveals it.