Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Default 2 Overcards and BDFD on paired board

Table is playing tight, an average 4 or 5 to the flop. SB is loose semi-passive, BB is weak or getting killed by cards, hasn't shown down a hand in a while. MP is decent player, one of the only at the table willing to bet a draw or bluff in position, but throws away frequently when it doesn't work. LP is 2+2er Frond, haven't seen him get out of line and we've both built a healthy respect for each other's raises when the other is in the hand.

PF:
MP opens, LP calls, I call on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB completes, BB checks. 5 to the flop

Flop:
6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB checks, MP bets, LP calls, I raise

Sexy or spew? My thought was that LP could definitely try a steal here, and it was unlikely that either he or LP would hold a three in this position. All my outs could be clean if no one holds a pocket pair bigger than 77, and I figured my raise represented the three well enough to scare out a bigger Ace or freeze some hands that beat me enough to get a free card if I needed it.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: 2 Overcards and BDFD on paired board

ok play and you'll be in the driver's seat if you dont get 3 bet.

however, you should also consider how the other players view your raise here. it is quite unlikely that this flop hit you; thus, for your raise to be considered legit, they would have to be certain that you hold an overpair (i.e. 77-99, or 44-55). thus this is play is dependent on your opponents ability to read hands.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:26 PM

I hate it. You're basically hoping that the flop bettor is on a complete bluff and frond decided to peel with overs. I also think this has no hope of doing anything good for you unless you're following up with a turn bet. Combination of the caller in the middle and the pot being so small kill this IMO.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

I don't like it either. The pot is to small and your outs are weak. Folding is the best play here.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think this has no hope of doing anything good for you unless you're following up with a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow this. If any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn I've probably got a good chance of being able to take a free card to hit my flush if I want it. I can follow up with a turn bet if I hit an Ace or 7, if I hit a diamond and think I've got a chance at taking it down, or even if other people's action leads me to believe they are sitting on weak hands, but I don't think it is the only play that can help me here.

Agreed that folding is definitely an option here. I wouldn't have made the play if I hadn't pulled several pots this session when everyone folded out to moderate aggression.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also think this has no hope of doing anything good for you unless you're following up with a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I follow this. If any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on the turn I've probably got a good chance of being able to take a free card to hit my flush if I want it. I can follow up with a turn bet if I hit an Ace or 7, if I hit a diamond and think I've got a chance at taking it down, or even if other people's action leads me to believe they are sitting on weak hands, but I don't think it is the only play that can help me here.

Agreed that folding is definitely an option here. I wouldn't have made the play if I hadn't pulled several pots this session when everyone folded out to moderate aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

if both players call your raise you dont really want the A IMO

if you made this play trying to outplay the others sensing weakness, go for it.

if you made this play thinking it'll buy you a winner if an Ace comes on the turn or river, its a bad play.

i also wouldnt put any consideration of your backdoor draws into your decision here. the pot is too small to chase those draws.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM

I think by this time the table had tightend up a bit more than earlier. Hyper took notice of this and tried a bit more stealing-semi bluffing-isolation plays(with success). The 9 seat this was working against for sure as well as a few others. Normally at a 4/8 table you can forget about some of these plays cause you get called down with a glimmer of a pair. The 7 seat was a station who often bet a lot of flops with air or just a naked ace in any position. (I made it a point to call the 7 seat down a lot more with marg hands).
Old 07-03-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I follow this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is probably no better than a 4-outer if you're counting on improving. Therefore you need to either bluff or show down Ahigh and win sometimes to make this pot worth caring about. Given that, you should be betting most if not all turns to make a bluff have a chance at working, or to protect your Ahigh in the event that it's good. If you're counting on improving to win I don't think you have any business in this pot.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM

not sure if this is relevant, but i also dislike your preflop call after a solid player like frond has called before you.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it. You're basically hoping that the flop bettor is on a complete bluff and frond decided to peel with overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. This is much better if Frond is the one betting the flop.

-McGee