Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 08:45 AM

Default River play with overpair

I have been questioning a lot of my river decisions recently. Here is an example:

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $103.75
BB: $166.00
UTG: $312.15
Hero (MP): $100.00
Villain (CO): $82.30
BTN: $110.80

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain is 52/14/0.5. I haven't seen him do anything that isn't obvious in those stats. (Limps a lot, very passive)</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, Villain calls $3.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($8.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $6.00</font>, Villain calls $6.00

Turn: ($20.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, Villain calls $15.00

River: ($50.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero ???

This one felt awkward. I think I like a bet/fold as this gets value from Jacks, and costs about the same as check/calling if I am up against the flush. How bad is check/call?? Can I check/fold?

I am just really lost on what I should be thinking about in situations like this, so any general comments on the types of things to factor into river decisions on boards like this would be great.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: River play with overpair

you can do either, well against a passive player i don't know what to tell you b/c its a coin flip between j10+ or flush and j 10 just rivered two pair, 52 vpip is outrageously high so i learn more towards jq or jk hopefully, i think this is a c/c-- what about everyone else?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM

I probably bet-fold here. Villain won't raise with much that you beat on the river.

How much are we betting on the river as a blocker though? 2/3 of the pot? Half? Even less maybe?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 AM

I don't like c/c, if he is really passive as his stats would indicate I don't think he is betting with anything that you are beating. Of course if you checked and he made some stupid small bet like $10 or something I would call.

Don't think you can really b/f either, his stack is only just over the size of the pot, so you would have to be betting really small and folding getting really good odds. I'm kinda torn between pushing and c/f, but would probably push while on the table. Would also like to hear other opinions on the hand.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Iīm c/f this. if you check you will never induce a bluff b/c villain just isnīt going to bluff here and prob isnīt vbetting worse hands
Old 07-03-2007, 09:51 AM

hes passive though, you know hes betting maybe 25 at most, because he wants to get "paid" off for his flush draw, how is someone c/f this, get a read and move on, your still beating so many hands... why would you push?? if he has the flush hes calling if not hes folding.. that is a terrible play
Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM

i mean i'd c/f to a huge bet, maybe even pot size but this guy has shown no capabilities of doing that
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Bet more on the flop (8) and turn (24) - you want to be able to push any blank river without having to make an overbet. As played c/c any reasonable riverbet (i'd probably fold if villain bets more than 30).
Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Yeah pushing is probably bad, but I do think he may call with worse hands, such as some jacks. I just suggested pushing because c/c, b/f and c/f all seem kind of weird. I think c/ evaluate and probably fold is the best line.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 AM

easy block bet and u can be pretty sure it will work lead for 22