Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Hello there....

Hi there, Omaha crowd...

Silent A sent me a message asking me to drop in on this forum, pointing out that there's some good insights and discussions here on PLO that we could use as we plan future events such as WCOOP. (Thanks for the tip, btw, Silent A!)

I'm all ears, everyone...

(Well, eyes, anyway... my computer doesn't read 2p2 posts to me via the speakers... might be convenient, though. Hmm.)

All the best,

Bryan S.
Tournaments Administrator
PokerStars Poker Room Management Team
Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Hello there....

Hello again...

I meant to post a couple of questions in my last post... and too late to edit now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Regarding the Omaha tournaments in last year's WCOOP, did you think that they:

- were too long, too short, or just about right?
- had level increases which were too fast, too slow, or just about right?
- had structures which were too steep, too gradual, or just about right?

If anyone who answers would like to give detailed explanations behind their responses, that would really be most appreciated.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time!

All the best,

Bryan S.
Tournaments Administrator
PokerStars Poker Room Management Team
Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 AM

Well, I'll be the first to chime in:

- More 6-max PLO tourneys (WCOOP, down to 10 cent buy-ins)
- start the freeze-outs with more than 1500 chips because PLO needs to be deeper stacked than NLHE for proper play (2500 or 3000 for example)
- Have an evening PLO guarantee (pref. the $5 or $10 re-buy)
- most of your PLO tourneys are either super early or super late. I'm especially thinking about the re-buys. Europeans aren't the only ones playing these games. I'd love it if you could move the evening re-buys back an hour or so.
- separate out Hi and Hi/Lo in the filter. You could use the space below "Limit" for "Hi/Split", for example. "Ahh, there's a $10 rebuy at 20:30. Finally! F---, it's PLO8!!!"
- Try adding some micro re-buys, preferably with a guarantee. Hopefully, this would encourage more people to try the game.
- Finally, would it be too much to ask for some PLO VIP tournaments? Perhaps, a small one once a month or two and a big one once a year? I'm especially thinking about the Supernova weekly 50K.

P.S. Deeper stacks for PL0!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:40 AM

Oh, and I think we'd all appreciate an automatic/double re-buy option as much as the NLHE players.

Plus, please be patient since this is a much lower volume forum than "MTT Community"
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 AM

Arg, I keep forgetting things ...

Someone please rename the thread title to something a little more obvious. May I suggest, "Hello there ... looking for feedback about PLO Tournaments at Pokerstars" (too long?)

Plus, I'm sure many people here would kill to get your cash game counter-parts to stop by. (nudge-nudge)

And lastly (for now), the WCOOP is a little out of my bankroll range. However, I'd be much more inclined to try the freeze-out if the structure was extra deep.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 AM

Here I go again ...

Not quite related, and long-term minded, but I'd love to see a pot limit variation of H.O.R.S.E. but more skewed away from stud/razz.

PLHE, PLO, PL08, PLTD, for example (note: last one forces 6-max [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Frankly, it's high time NLHE/PLO tables and tourneys came to Stars.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not quite related, and long-term minded, but I'd love to see a pot limit variation of H.O.R.S.E. but more skewed away from stud/razz.

PLHE, PLO, PL08, PLTD, for example (note: last one forces 6-max [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, yeah!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 AM

-Like mentioned, if the filter could differ between Hi/Lo and Hi that would be really great.

-The start time of tournaments in the range $20-$50 is a bit off for us europeans (GMT+1 here), it's either 5 PM or really late (like, 11 pm or later). If you have a regular job it's tough to find the time to play them. I would like to replace the 10+1 on weekdays which starts at...2:30 PM EST (I think) with a 20+2 or 30+3 if possible.

-6 max rebuy tournaments?

-PLO HU tournaments would be fun to try out, but honestly I don't think they would run quite often.

-I like the PLO tournament structure from a time perspective (a tourney with 200 entries is usually completed within 4 hours or so) although I agree it's a crapshoot in the end. Knowing that a flushdraw is the nuts at PS helps though.

Re: WCOOP
-Last year you only could satellite into the PLO rb WCOOP tournament but not the freezout (AFAIK). The result was that many players were playing the rb tournament with one single buyin, which, well, added value to the tournament for the people who could afford 1-1.5k to play it. Just an observation, I only played the freezeout.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-I like the PLO tournament structure from a time perspective (a tourney with 200 entries is usually completed within 4 hours or so) although I agree it's a crapshoot in the end. Knowing that a flushdraw is the nuts at PS helps though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really thinking about average stacks for most of the tourney, not just the FT. With the current structure, the average stack seems to be 10-15 BB for most of the middle period. This is just horrid for PLO. PLO plays bigger than HE and this should be reflected in the structure.

It didn't really sink in for me until I started playing PLO re-buys lately. I had given up on PLO freeze-outs because the stacks would be so shallow after an hour (even if mine isn't - theirs are). After playing a couple re-buys I was floored by the difference it made (although it makes perfect sense in hindsight). Sure it was still shallow by cash game standards, but playing 30 BB stacks >> 15 BB stacks. Also, it really doesn't take that much longer (maybe an hour) and good players will make a lot more final tables.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 AM

This isn't exactly on topic about your OP Brayn, but I'll take the opportunity anyway.

Please please please please please please x 10000000000. Can we get some Heads Up tables on stars?

While I'm here tho,

hahaha well, after reading Silent-As posts, he covered anything I could think of and more. Would love to see VIP Omaha Mtts as well as more 6max PLO Mtts. I don't play many MTTS but would definately get down on some short handed PLO...OR HU PLO MTTS if that were at all possible.