Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Late tourney big stack conflict

$26 FTP MTT. We are in the money both me and villain are in top ten of about 40 left. Blinds 600-1200. Villain has raised my BB 95% of the time and called one reraise previously w/ K 10 off.

This time I have AK[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] w/ about 64k behind, villain covers me. He makes it 3,400 on the Button and I bump it to 7,500, he calls. Flop comes 10 4 5 rainbow. I bet out just over half of the pot and he thinks for an extended time then moves me in.

What's the best line start to finish in a situation like this?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Late tourney big stack conflict

raise to 14k pf, 21k on any flop would be my line. your reraise pf did nothing good because it was so small.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise to 14k pf, 21k on any flop would be my line. your reraise pf did nothing good because it was so small.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Make the raise higher PF. Bet about the pot on the flop or push.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 AM

Ya my line was pretty bad, I just didn't want to play a huge pot with him. My head hurts still because of how I [censored] that hand up.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya my line was pretty bad, I just didn't want to play a huge pot with him. My head hurts still because of how I [censored] that hand up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick up Erick Lindgrens book on MTT play. It helped me with my game but it will give you the right mindset to play in MTTs and have the right attitude.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Make the raise higher PF. Bet about the pot on the flop or push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is pretty bad advice.Definately has to raise more pre,you wouldn't mind taking down the pot there,so 13-14k sounds good,any more is pointless.

As it is,you make a standard cbet and he comes over the top,so just fold. Betting the pot or pushing is just stupid,you get exactly the same information by betting between 1/2 and 3/4 of the pot.

Put yourself in his position.Your rr preflop shows that you have a strong hand,he still feels comfortable pushing after the flop. You said you wanted to play a small pot,don't you think he feels the same way? The two of you are among the chipleaders,he'd rather not tangle with someone that can cripple him,yet he still shoves? I'd say he's got a strong hand here,and let's face it,you can't beat anything he can have except a weaker A. I'd say this is an easy fold,especially the way you played it because you'd still have plenty of chips left.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 AM

The guy said he had AQ later...not that I can trust him. I told him I had 99.