Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Sean Sherk\'s MMA training

Did anyone catch the UFC special with Sean Sherk tonight? It went in-depth with his training, which is unlike anything I've seen. Aside from the usual grappling/striking workouts, he incorporates things like swinging a 62 lb. sledgehammer as many times as possible in a minute, swinging a medicine ball tied to a rope side-to-side, flipping a 250-pound tire, and climbing a rope horizontally. All of it was done with his heart rate above 180. They also touched on his diet; he eats very clean - lots of greens, white fish, white meat, tons of organic stuff, and baby food. Dude also takes like 20 different pills.

I'd love to find a place where I could do workouts like this - anyone ever tried doing this stuff? Seems like it's great for power/functional strength.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Sean Sherk\'s MMA training

search for strongman training...underground training...zach even-ish...

I saw some of fedor's training, it looked like he used similar strong man workouts as well. If you wanted to try this, you most likely have to set everything up yourself. Those kind of workouts are too cardio intense for me to even think about trying.

That seems all pretty old news/crossfit type stuff. They love hammer swinging and tire flipping.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 AM

There is a youtube video somewhere of fedor training where he is hitting a huge tire with a sledge hammer.

That [censored] will make you strong as a bull. My dad used to nail railroad spikes in for a living and he said he was the strongest guy around when he was doing that. He would always win arm wrestling contest they used to hold at the steel mill/railroad. He still has a grip that will crush anyones from just doing that for 8 hours a day/20years.

I would love to have a gym where I could go and do that kind of stuff. That is the best kind of shape to be in.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems all pretty old news/crossfit type stuff. They love hammer swinging and tire flipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

The workouts themselves have all been done before, but the intensity and volume of his training is extremely impressive, especially for someone with his muscularity. His workout regimen would be very difficult for even elite athletes. I'm sure there will be a youtube of it soon.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to have a gym where I could go and do that kind of stuff. That is the best kind of shape to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought part of the beauty of this kind of training was not needing to join a gym to do it. Get an old tractor tire from a salvage yard. Buy a sledgehammer from Home Depot. Make a few sandbags of different weights. Much cheaper than gyms or weights, racks, benches, etc. AND more fun.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:08 AM

slick,

There's a difference between "training" 40 hours a week and normal people who train like 5 hours a week. Your body will adjust to it. I don't think there is really anything special about mechanics or most physical laborers genetically. Just they put the time in and the results show.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slick,

There's a difference between "training" 40 hours a week and normal people who train like 5 hours a week. Your body will adjust to it. I don't think there is really anything special about mechanics or most physical laborers genetically. Just they put the time in and the results show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thremp, I don't disagree with what you say there. The point is that there are very few even full time athletes who could keep up with Sherk's workout regimen and diet. The combination of conditioning, strength, and endurance that Sherk has developed is extremely impressive.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought part of the beauty of this kind of training was not needing to join a gym to do it. Get an old tractor tire from a salvage yard. Buy a sledgehammer from Home Depot. Make a few sandbags of different weights. Much cheaper than gyms or weights, racks, benches, etc. AND more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true but what am I going to do, put a bunch of that stuff in my [censored] little apartment?

It gives you a place that already has all the stuff and a place to do it.