Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: When your game falls part?

Well, speaking from experience here's some short background first.

Backstory - I injured my wrist playing golf. I was playing a lot and had really worked on hitting down the ball and pinching it against the turf. A real pro style swing. Was playing well and shooting around 77-79 pretty consistently. That was until I tweaked the tendons in my right wrist that extend out to the thumb. It was hard for me even to hold something in my right hand. So, what did I do? The most sensible thing of course, take Advil and give it a little rest and play through it. My game slowly went to hell. Finally saw a orthopedist who was able to fix it, but playing four months with a messed up wrist totally changed my swing, as I kept trying to compensate for the wrist.

Instead of stopping and going to a pro, I just kept trying to fix it. Nothing was working and as time went by I kept picking up more bad swing habits that I didn't even realize I had. I finally went to a pro and with his help I had to overcome four bad habits.

How I did it was by concentrating on one thing at a time with half-swings with the same club. For example one bad habit was that I was opening my shoulders too much at impact, so I started with that. Took a 9 iron and hit 1/2 swing shots every day until I stopped doing.

Then just rinse and repeated until everything finally got back to normal. For the last bad habit I went to the driving range every day for two weeks and just hit 1/2 9 iron shots until I could hit the ball and swing as I wanted.

A bad swing is like any bad habit, it's going to take a lot of work to push it out of your feel and instead get the proper feel. If you have the time then do what I did. First make sure you are swinging correctly or know how to even if it feels wrong and then hit about 2,000 balls with a 1/2 controlled tempo swing until the motion is ingrained correctly.

PS: At certain points along the way I thought I really didn't need to practice that much. I was wrong. Like anything in life, if you want to be good at it you have to put the time in.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Backstory - I injured my wrist playing golf. I was playing a lot and had really worked on hitting down the ball and pinching it against the turf. A real pro style swing. Was playing well and shooting around 77-79 pretty consistently. That was until I tweaked the tendons in my right wrist that extend out to the thumb. It was hard for me even to hold something in my right hand. So, what did I do? The most sensible thing of course, take Advil and give it a little rest and play through it. My game slowly went to hell. Finally saw a orthopedist who was able to fix it, but playing four months with a messed up wrist totally changed my swing, as I kept trying to compensate for the wrist.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG!!!11 You're Michelle Wie? Ignore the haters on this site...especially that HDPM guy!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find the beer girl..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny, but I think there is some truth in this. I know having a beer has helped me on occasion.

D

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I hate beer, so that wouldnt work

....I have a meeting friday morning with my instructor in which I should be able to work on it..then Ill spend some extra time at the range getting it set and probably hit a round this weekend

Ill hope for the best...I think I got too much [censored] going through my head during the swing
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Find the beer girl..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny, but I think there is some truth in this. I know having a beer has helped me on occasion.

D

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I hate beer, so that wouldnt work

....I have a meeting friday morning with my instructor in which I should be able to work on it..then Ill spend some extra time at the range getting it set and probably hit a round this weekend

Ill hope for the best...I think I got too much [censored] going through my head during the swing

[/ QUOTE ]

Many courses' beer girls will make you mixed drinks on the spot.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 AM

When my game falls apart during a round, I go back to an old swing thought or feeling that has worked well in the past. It usually takes a few holes to work it our and occasionally
there's is no cure.

FWIW, a shank is not caused by an open clubface. It's caused by the club coming too far from the inside and strking the hosel of the club.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 AM

I would imagine it will be like this for a while if you just revamped your entire swing. Find a go to shot for the time being and use it when your swing goes to hell. Something like a punch/low draw/fade whatever it is, as long as you can do it consistently and trust it to get you in the clubhouse.

I get into hooking problems occasionally and will alter my grip and swing path mid round just to keep the ball in play. You just have to keep working on the range and find little tricks that work for you.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

??????????????
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 AM

shanks?

1. move farther away from the ball
2. change your swing plane to whatever it isn't
3. hit half shots
4. regain confidence
Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shanks?

1. move farther away from the ball
2. change your swing plane to whatever it isn't
3. hit half shots
4. regain confidence

[/ QUOTE ]
Most people who shank it stand too far from the ball.