Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Telling people they need to lose weight (or other unpleasant thing

under "other unpleasant things" :

there is a guy at work who is completely disgusting. He's a huge fat guy, which is only partially related to his problems.

he slurps all his food and drinks incredibly loudly, so much that it bothers everyone within 10 feet or so.

he burps loudly.

he talks loudly.

he is a slob, like he will walk over to my desk with a handful of pretzel rods, take a bite from a few of them at once, and spray pretzel rod residue all over me.

etc etc

however, he is a nice guy.

is there any hope of changing him? or is he just going to be disgusting forever?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:01 PM

this is one thing that honestly enough, I dont care what company I am in, I will say something to them.

"hey listen, I cant eat when you are making all that noise, I know it may be a lot of craziness on my part, but every time you smakc your mouth, I want to shove an ice pick up your nose...please, please stop"

I adjust the wording though depending on the target.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM

Offer to run with them. I tell my brother he is fat and needs to run off his man titties.

Brutal honesty ftw.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
speaking from personal experience, there is no real point in telling people this stuff, they know it, it is up to them to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, based on this quote:

[ QUOTE ]
We've never talked about his size, but he knows he is obese and Im sure he wants to lose weight and knows the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he knows this, why do you need to bring it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in this situation and sat him down and seriously talked to him and told him my concerns. He obviously knew his lifestyle, but I think that a couple of us talking to him helped him knowing that we were so concerned for his well being, which made him think about it more and want to make some changes. Since then, he has quit smoking and lost about 25 pounds.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 AM

also, if he decides to make some changes. keep him accountable. support can go miles.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Dids are you in Vegas. I'll be meeting with my friend next week and it might be cool if you could join us.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Every drug addict's memoirs say that there is absolutely no way their friends are helping with interventions unless they are doing some of the muscle work for the guy that has obviously been too lazy to change already...

Don't just sit him down for a talk - trust me.. any chubby person out there has been conscious about it since day one.. they notice every wrinkle of flab showing through their t-shirt, they stress about every beach day, they worry about how they look when they eat.... This is not anything you can help them with..

What you CAN do is come at them with a very tangible plan, as mentioned before. "Dude.. you've got a serious problem with XYZ, so I thought I'd help you out because I want you around for X number of years. I've got this membership to a gym I've been meaning to buy and I want you to be my workout buddy. I promise we'll go at whatever pace you feel comfy with to start, but I think we should also check in with experts XYZ (doctor, nutritionist, physio or personal trainer) just to make sure we're both cool for this, because I'm going to be pushing you. It's gonna be a bit of work, but I promise to pick you up in my car X times a week and drive you to this place. I've also been reading up a bit on eating habits and all that, and this particular plan XYZ seems to be a good way to lose fat / build muscle. We'll eat breakfast and post-workout lunch together, and really make this happen. You in? Don't be a pussy."
Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 AM

if you really care about them then you should kidnap and keep them chained up for 2 months until they lose the weight.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 PM

All growing up I was one of the bigger kids. I was never fat or overweight, just taller and bigger than everybody else. When I started playing sports in Junior High and High School I started to get pretty musclular. At the beginning of my senior year in HS I was 6'1" and weighed 220" and could put up 315 on the bench press. I started both ways on our football team and was going to play ball in college.

But of course I tore my ACL early in my senior season and that all but ended my college ball aspirations.

4 years later I was still 6'1" but I weighed 305 and hadn't excercised in years. I was fat. And it was embarassing.

2 months ago my little brother came home from college and asked me to join 24 hour fitness with him so that he could have a workout partner. My little brother is a much smaller guy than I am. He's not in any kind of peak physical condition, but he's skinny none the less.

After going to the gym with him for the first 2 weeks or so I decided I really wanted to lose serious weight this summer, and I decided to get a personal trainer. So I got 20 sessions with a personal trainer. We took all of my measurements (Total nightmare) and I laid out my goals. I want to get back down to 230 lbs.

6 weeks later I've lost almost 20 lbs and I feel absolutely fantastic. I'm down to 285 and I can't believe how much of a difference it is.

I'm eating healthy and spend an hour in the gym 4 days a week. Two days a week I train with my personal trainer and the other two days I do my 'fitness homework' which is just some cardio.

Last week when I was in the gym doing my cardio the manager came up to me and congratulated me on my success in the gym so far. He said that only a few people have seen results like me. But I work very hard. I haven't cheated on my diet once in 6 weeks (I have to burn 1,200 more calories a day than I take in) and I work very hard in the gym.

So if you're reading this and you're fat, I hope you're found some inspiration. Get into the gym, start eating healthy, and you'll be a much better person because of it. Seeing a lot of my old friends from HS has been helpfull too. They have been very encouraging to me. So have my coworkers and family.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM

I agree with this speaking as a really fat guy. Trust me I know I'm huge. If you are serious about helping, a workout buddy is probably the best possible thing you can do. Who knows how many diets and times I've started to work out, but they tend to die 4-8 weeks into it. Just one other person helping get your butt actually into the gym I think would help dramatically.

Doc