Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Possible doomsday date: May 2008?

lol oh wait, nevermind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I recall, when they did the first fission bomb test during th Manhattan Project, there was some concern that it would set off a nuclear chain reaction in the atmosphere and destroy the planet. I doubt that a particle accelerator can cause anything that hasn't already happened many times in supernovas and other natural high energy. I am willing to bet any amount up to $20,000,000,000,000,000,000 that neither the world or the universe ends in May of next year. How to collect if I lose this bet is left as an exercise.

[/ QUOTE ]

People don't live in supernovas. I don't think anybody is saying we can destroy the whole universe, just Earth. Though it is a long shot.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 AM

In any of these scenarios is it possible that we'd retain consciousness and be trapped in a void for all eternity or something like that, or would we just die instantly?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 AM

as long as we could all retain consciousness and figure out some way to play poker still for all eternity, i see that as a brag.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM

There was a document released by CERN addressing each one of these issues and no scientist could find any reason to believe any hazard would occur. Not only that, but the max collision of the LHC Is about 14 TeV if I remember correctly, and cosmic particle collisions with Earth's atmosphere (stray muons, neutrinos etc) have up to 3 times this energy. If a particle collision could possibly cause any of these catastrophes, it would have happened before humanity even existed in our distant upper atmosphere.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Oppenheimer.

Yeah. Weren't there sidebets at Los Alamos? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

lol @ 2012. Popul Vuh and Xibalba?

[ QUOTE ]
Very arrogant for humanity to believe it could change the nature of nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feedback processes aside, I don't see anything stopping h. sapiens from doing whatever it likes to the fullest of its ability.

Remarkable though, the willingness to make mistakes and take gambles that can unleash such force from the Universe.