Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Man Made Global Warming Theory = Human Excrement

[ QUOTE ]

I found the article:

http://ams.allenpress.com/perlserv/?...5%2FJCLI3860.1

Can't read it without the membership, but the abstract definitely makes it seem unlikely that the article would contain such an abrasive quote. Of course, the Sun-Times article said the quote came from the magazine, not any specific article, so I'm gonna guess that the quote used was actually a flashy cover blurb.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says: Yet the September 2006 issue of the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate reported, "Glaciers are growing in the Himalayan Mountains, confounding global warming alarmists who recently claimed the glaciers were shrinking and that global warming was to blame."

I don't see the word "magazine" in that text. The word magazine is used to describe the Nature article though. The word "confounding" does not exist in the AMS paper you linked to. PM me if you would like a PDF copy of the journal article. Again, it looks like that quote doesn't exist in ANY AMS journal. I don't get any hits on google scholar either. Is it a fabrication?

[ QUOTE ]

More importantly though, you're making a point about intensity in response to a quote about quantity, making your chart a complete straw man. Although to be fair, the article made it look like it was including intensity by saying "Gore claims global warming is causing more frequent and severe hurricanes." It talked only about quanitity after that, but it was definitely a standard media-news trick to make people think it's both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's no record and/or proof that man can predict global weahter 100 years in advance accurately yet you claim it is much easier than predicting short term weather fluctuations accurately. Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Climate models can reconstruct the past 130 years with a pretty high accuracy. Given that the models are based off of physics and not statistics (i.e. they don't use training data) this says mountains about their usefulness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have the article from which that graph came from?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not actually claiming that humans have a good idea of global weather in 100 years. I am saying that doubting it because we can't predict local weather well is foolish. Well foolish is a bit harsh as it may not be that obvious. At the very least somebody who doesn't know this shouldn't be offering his opinion on the subject to others as this is pretty simple stuff compared to the debate on how accurate our long term global climate models are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I understand now where you're coming from but let's review this has gone down.

OP wrote in part:

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to predict the next moves of a 4 Billion year old planet 100 years from now is stupid, especially when we cannot predict the weather a week in advance....

[/ QUOTE ]

To which you responded:

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke or do I have to explain why predicting global weather 100 years from now is MUCH easier than predicting local weather in a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll have to agree that this is different than stating that not being able to predict short term weather conditions reliability doesn't imply that predictions about global weahter in 100 years are just as unreliable. But I understand your points now. hanks for taking the time to explain yourself. It is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not actually claiming that humans have a good idea of global weather in 100 years. I am saying that doubting it because we can't predict local weather well is foolish. Well foolish is a bit harsh as it may not be that obvious. At the very least somebody who doesn't know this shouldn't be offering his opinion on the subject to others as this is pretty simple stuff compared to the debate on how accurate our long term global climate models are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I understand now where you're coming from but let's review this has gone down.

OP wrote in part:

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to predict the next moves of a 4 Billion year old planet 100 years from now is stupid, especially when we cannot predict the weather a week in advance....

[/ QUOTE ]

To which you responded:

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke or do I have to explain why predicting global weather 100 years from now is MUCH easier than predicting local weather in a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll have to agree that this is different than stating that not being able to predict short term weather conditions reliability doesn't imply that predictions about global weahter in 100 years are just as unreliable. But I understand your points now. hanks for taking the time to explain yourself. It is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. FWIW I can certainly understand why people are skeptical of global climate change. Given how politically charged this issue has become and how difficult some of the science is makes it even tougher to get a good handle on it. I have pretty much just started reading up on it so I can't really claim to have a full understanding of the mechanisms but which man is changing the climate (if we are at all).
Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have the article from which that graph came from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go here:
http://www.logicalscience.com/skepti...dont-work.html

or direct:

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abstracts/...en_etal_1.html
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 PM

Don't tell me I'm the only person that opened this thread expecting a thread about whether human excrement causes global warming or not.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tell me I'm the only person that opened this thread expecting a thread about whether human excrement causes global warming or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

That argument has actually been made by some of the people at Tech Central Station/TCS Daily. They of course happen to get funding from Exxon.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Have you read this book and if so what do you think?

A Climate Modelling Primer

You've succeeded in getting me interested in climate modeling. I want to read more than conclusions. I want to learn more about how they're constructed.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He called the entire scientific community frauds when they obviously aren't. I mean do I really need to treat somebody like that with respect?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the fraud using phrases like "entire scientific community", when its only the "entire scientific community that Wacki chooses to recognize.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He called the entire scientific community frauds when they obviously aren't. I mean do I really need to treat somebody like that with respect?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the fraud using phrases like "entire scientific community", when its only the "entire scientific community that Wacki chooses to recognize.

[/ QUOTE ]
That word, I don't think you know what that word means.