Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Default 100nl - TPGK vs Lag

Villain is 66/22/2 over 50 hands, he was involved in most pots and does lots of betting. He showed down 2 hands so far, kq boat and a missed 910s combo draw.

Pacific Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.5/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $81.72
CO: $152.51
Hero: $120.15
SB: $48.2
BB: $123.81

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $5</font>, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($16, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $8</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($32, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">CO bets $30.43</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero???</font>

Should I reraise flop for information/value?
Is the turn an easy fold?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: 100nl - TPGK vs Lag

I don't think a reraise here is a good idea because u still have a player behind u. I think i would play this the same way and this is a fold on the turn.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 AM

in hindsight, i think a reraise would have been ok. if villan called... then turn would check or call depending on his bet size. then a fold to a river bet.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 AM

Looks like villain hit a set and was going for the "oh i'm kind of weak so I'll just bet 1/2 pot" play to entice you to get it all in with your AK/AQ on the flop, but since you didn't bite, he now wants to make up for it with a pot bet on the turn...or he has A9 or something. Pretty standard fold.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Flop is definitely an easy raise for value as he's probably just stabbing with air or Ax. Once you call though, he may think his Ax is good and that's what he's betting the turn with. Depending on what you've seen him do in the past, I'd be inclined to call turn and fold river.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"oh i'm kind of weak so I'll just bet 1/2 pot"

[/ QUOTE ]

i did think this, so i just called for pot control, but thinking back, it would have made more sense to make a smallish raise and loose that if he came over the top instead of being "fairly commited" in a pot with no information.

i was tilting a bit during this hand (had just lost buyin on another table) so i shoved and he insta-called with A4
Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like villain hit a set and was going for the "oh i'm kind of weak so I'll just bet 1/2 pot" play to entice you to get it all in with your AK/AQ on the flop, but since you didn't bite, he now wants to make up for it with a pot bet on the turn...or he has A9 or something. Pretty standard fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

really intresting even with his description?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM

bubaloo-

Your stack is $120 and villain has you covered. When you call his flop bet, you've put $13 in. You are nowhere near "fairly commited." Just think of it this way: When you make a PF raise and make a c-bet when you whiff, you are putting about $13 in and giving up. So it happens all the time. You have a really mediocre hand here (you're behind about half of the Ax hands now) and villain has shown a lot of strength. This is not the time to play for stacks.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really intresting even with his description?

[/ QUOTE ]

His description makes me even more suspicious because he is likely to limp/call with A4, A8, A9. I mean what it comes down to is that we don't even have AQ here, much less AK. It's just a completely standard fold IMO.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Raising the flop won't give you necessary information. He might call and slowplay. Now you put more money in for no information at all. Calling gives you necessary information.

In NL, raising for information can be costly. It can be a good resource in limit hold'em (I have no clue about limit, so don't take my word seriously), but in NL, calling for information is often more powerful play. Just a little general suggestion.