Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Default making notes

hello guys and ladies:-)
im new to forums. reading this posts is very interesting and u can learn quite alot from them.
ok so i have a question about notes. i want to ask u what do u write about players, how do u have it organized, and so on...
thank u for your replies
have fun, skill versus luck:-)
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: making notes

Some things I look for when making a note:

-Late street or multi-street bluffs. Especially bluffs on the river. Knowing that a player is capable of moves like that can save me an entire pot.
-Overplaying a mediocre hand or draw postflop. For example, if a guy reraises on the turn with top pair, medium kicker, that's also something I want to know. Both because it lets me know how much action to give him when I flop a monster, and because it lets me know how much I can expect from him in the way of implied odds when deciding whether to call preflop.
-Making appropriate raises or check/raises on draws. This is more particular to limit games than no limit, but with enough opponents it's often correct to jam the pot early in a hand when you flop a big draw. I want to know who else at my tables knows that because, first of all it lets me know that he probably has some clue about the rest of poker, and second of all it lets me know that just because he raised & capped the flop in a 4-way pot, it doesn't mean he can beat my top pair.
-Generic notes on calling stations or loose/aggressive players. Things such as "will call to river with any draw" or "will cap flop with any pair" that again let me know who I need to be value betting middle pair against & who I need to be value capping top pair versus.
-Players prone to tilt. If I see a guy go on megatilt after a few bad beats or after an argument in table chat, I want to know about that in future sessions. Depending on how big a hand sample I have on him in PT, his "tilt" numbers may skew his overall stats, plus it's just handy to know that I can possibly tilt a guy by dealing him one bad beat.
-Basically, anything about a player's game which I see him do that does not jive with the PT stats I have on him. If I'm showing him as loose passive overall, then I want to know if all of a sudden he reraised the river against someone while holding a busted flush draw or bottom pair.

I also like to keep notes reminding me if I have been chatting with that player at the table, and a brief overview of what we chatted about. If you find a good table or a really bad opponent, the game always seems to last longer (and the opponent seems to lose more money) if things remain friendly. So I don't want that fish to know that I don't remember a single word that I typed to him because I was also playing 3 other tables at the time & put in 1200 hands in the day--I want him to think I'm just there to have a good time like he is, and of course I remember that great coversation we had about Three's Company.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 AM

thank u for your post u vbeen realy helpfull.
tne next time i play i will try to use your concepts about note making.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:23 AM

Here is a great article which helped me in taking notes:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...&PHPSESSID=
Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM

I like to make some notes about how well they play position and apply position values to others. I tend to assume people will play a hand correctly unless I have evidence to the contrary. To know that somone calls a raise and a reraise with AJo can be very helpful. I like to note unusual moves too. Anyone going all-in on the first hand of a SNG gets a note so I can look for it again in the future. I may fold the first time, but if I know it's a habit, I might call with JJ. If they tend to show the goods, I run away.