Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: from 18 to 46 non-cash finishes in a row since last post

[ QUOTE ]

It's pretty sweet that by cross posting in the Beginners forum you get a nice red bulls eye branded on your back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking the hecklers came from BBV, more likely than not.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also one quick question mutiger91, you used the term "fold equity" and the need for it in the middle and late stages, what do you mean by this term?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your equity (expected return) in a given hand is made up of 2 parts:
1) Fold equity - The pct chance that your opponent will fold to your bet x the size of the pot
2) Hand value - didn't know what to call this, but essentially this means the size of the pot times either your pct chance of your hand holding up or your pct chance of hitting your outs to a winner (depending on whether you are ahead or behind).

45 player SNGs really play more like MTTs. When I looked at your results I only looked at 9 player games to keep it simple. What I said about fold equity applies to both MTTs and single table SNGs. It has to do with your table image. If you have a loose table image, you can only really play very strong hands, because people are unlikely to fold to you and they may go out of their way to play back at you. If you establish a tight table image, people have to show a lot more respect for your bets and they can rob you blind.

It is MUCH easier to play tight and to steal, steal, steal blinds when they get big than it is to play loose early, possibly damage your stack and be forced to actually have the goods in the middle and late stages of the game.

Regardless of if you are playing loose or tight, I suggest you keep track of your play and know how others likely view you. Even if you have played nothing but premium hands, if you have played a bunch and not shown a few of them down, people are going to play back at you and force you to make difficult decisions. With this loose image, you need to play your good hands hard and muck your average hands. If you haven't played in the first 20 hands of a turbo and you wake up on the button with suited connectors, by all means, feel free to steal the blinds.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Hey All:

Since the last post, I have gotten back to the old me again making the cash again, and it feels easy again too. Since the 48 game losing streak, or what ever you want to call it, I have cashed in 5 out of 12 SnG's played in, for a %15 ROI. Placed 5th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st. Not posting this to brag by any means, just to give you guys an update and let you know your advice helped. So Thanks. Also I went though Harrington 2 again, as reccommended, which was pretty eye-opening even though I had read it before.

I am back to the tight, oh so very patient, conservative style of play in the early rounds as everyone recomended (except in two of the losses where I lost in 45th, and 44th place out of 50). The players I used to think were better than me, I feel confident playing with. Am making the right calls, feel like other players betting patterns are more and more transparent, while they are not following what I am doing most of the time, bluffing the right time at the right person for the right amount (which the tight reputation allows a lot of in later rounds when executed properly.) I haven't had to show my cards down that often and when I do the opponents chips are usually all in.

It just feels like I am playing again. It's like I got my swagger back. Time will tell I suppose. Until them I am going to be grinding it out at the same level, I dont plan on trying to level up until my bankroll says so.

One,
btrippi