Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which $10k donkament should Superfluous Man donk his way out of next?
WPT Borgata Open 9 13.64%
ESPN U.S. Poker Championship (Taj) 31 46.97%
WPT Festa Al Lago (Bellagio) 7 10.61%
WPT North American Poker Championship (Niagara) 6 9.09%
WPT World Poker Finals (Foxwoods) 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 05:03 AM

Default AA v ?? Trap when down to 3 in MTT

Just read this story and want to know if the guy played the hand right (Bellagio nightly $1K tournament)I find myself in this posistion so often and find it impossible to not push/call with this hand.

Danish uber-raising-machine Daniel, seated one to my right raises it up to 9,000 (blinds 1,500-3000) and with 50,000 and A-A in the hole I decide this is the right time to trap. I flat call and the flop comes down 9-8-2. He checks (very rare), I weak bet, he makes some kind of speech play and then calls. Hmmm, this is all a bit suspicious. The turn blanks and he checks. I am concerned that I am behind but with just over 30,000 behind I feel committed. I raise, he pushes I call - (you can guess what the villian flipped over)

(source: Poker Verdict)
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: AA v ?? Trap when down to 3 in MTT

Shove preflop. A call for 20% of your stack is very suspicious. Plus since he raises often, he might suspect that you're playing back at him and would expand his calling range.

btw, he probably had 98o.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:37 AM

I like this play. You have to regard that the author characterized him as a "raising machine" and is down to 3 players. Villain well couldīve made a steal raise with a very wide range. If you push now, Villain likely folds. If he just calls, you can be somehow sure that Villain will fire a conti-bet on the flop, whatever comes.

The check on the flop is indeed absolutely suspicious as the flop is dry as it could be. But what does it help? You canīt check your Aces here. Maybe I would have checked behind the turn - seriously expecting to be beaten, but would Iīve been able to fold my Aces on the river against a push, when another blank comes? I donīt think so ... as there is still the chance that Iīm up against QQ or KK.

Was pretty sure by the way that Villain flopped his set (as it actually was).
Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 AM

Didn't read the article but it depends on the other stack sizes and payouts. Trapping could be good or it could be bad depending on those factors.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read the article but it depends on the other stack sizes and payouts. Trapping could be good or it could be bad depending on those factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree - it didnt actually say. I guessed he was mid stacked as was the other guy, they have both cashed and the payout is not overly weighted to 1st and 2nd.

Like the idea of pushing more pre flop and seeing if i can get villans range increased although i do want to get paid on my aces. hmmm as played i cant put them down.