Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Posting Other People\'s Pictures On 2p2 - How Terrible Is It?

It's really stupid for people to get upset about taking pictures from their Facebook page. For goodness sakes, if you don't like the picture, untag it and/or ask the person who took it to take it down. The fact that it got photoshopped is just a fact of life; it sounds like your "friends" are the type of people who cry when people tease them. They need to get lives.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 PM

Little different than a girl upset over being in a GGW video. A considerate friend would ask when posting pictures. FFIW, I would NEVER post pictures of myself or my friends on this board. I've seen some scary stuff happen to pics around here.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really stupid for people to get upset about taking pictures from their Facebook page. For goodness sakes, if you don't like the picture, untag it and/or ask the person who took it to take it down. The fact that it got photoshopped is just a fact of life; it sounds like your "friends" are the type of people who cry when people tease them. They need to get lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely wrong and a bit insensitive in my opinion.

It's one thing for someone to post pictures online with the reasonable expectation that most of the people that see them will be someone that they know (either irl or internet friends). It's very different to link the pics to a site with thousands of posts and views per day.

It's also different if they think that any random person that DOES find their profile/pics won't know any more information about them than what they choose to make public.

Revealing intimate details of a person's life and releasing pics that make them identifiable without their consent is not a good idea.

It's one thing if I say, so, I have this gay friend that once got drunk and slept with a woman. This is information that I have as a result of my personal relationship with him, and I wouldn't reveal it to someone without his permission. But as long as there is no way any of you could find out who he is, I haven't violated his trust.

On the other hand, if I post his picture, it becomes possible for someone to link my story to him as a person. That means that I have revealed private information without his consent. That's an unforgiveable thing to do to a friend, in my opinion.

If I found that someone had leaked my picture to a message board full of people without my consent, I would be very upset and my upset would have NOTHING to do with how flattering the picture is. (Do you seriously think that is the problem people have with having their pictures linked?)

Then consider the history of people whose pictures are posted here getting harassed by juvenile 2p2ers with more time and computer savvy than brains.

I don't know why anyone would do that to someone that they liked. And using 2p2 to avenge yourself on someone that you don't like...well, if you did it in one of MY forums, I'd ban you instantly.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:29 AM

I'm sorry, but if it is on the internet without being behind some kind of access control it is in public and you have no expectation of privacy. Basically, if someone can link to it you have no control over the image anymore and no recourse against the linker for where that picture ends up. Maybe against the site it is posted on if it requires membership to view the picture and the site is so poorly set up that images can be directly linked to, but not against the guy who linked it.

It is pretty much the same as people who slag their boss/company in a blog and then act surprised when they are held accountable for their words. If you put your images on the internet you can't be upset when they end up someplace you didn't expect.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I don't understand all you guys and your obsession with pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a cliche, but; men are visual creatures.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I don't understand all you guys and your obsession with pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a cliche, but; men are visual creatures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men are visual, no doubt about it. But I think girls on the forums are visual creatures too. I think it's just me. I've always wondered why the girls on here are so into the idea of posting their pics for the whole world to see. Guys too for that matter. (Not knocking any specific individuals. I like you all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You're all cute and cool in my book. Totally mean that. I am just curious about the whole phenomenon, that's all.)

I think my interest in forums is really different from some of you. I only like the intellectual exchange of ideas and some comic relief. I totally don't have any curiosity about what anyone looks like. I find it boring. I'm kind of into fashion though so the whole "what should I wear with this shirt" thing is kind of fun.

Frankly, I just like to picture you all as the cast of characters from LOST.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm the same way, katy. I enjoy picturing people as their avatars, actually. :P

I hope I never see a pic of db...because him not being the Fonz would be too cruel.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Part of it is a prurient interest in salacious details and part of it is a general skepticism. It's the anonymous internet and people want proof that it is real and not fiction meant to tantalize.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:05 PM

A friend of mine who told me about 2p2 got into some trouble with his girlfriend after posting pictures of her in another forum. I'll admit that it's a shady thing to do, but it's only 'terrible' if no consent is given.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the same way, katy. I enjoy picturing people as their avatars, actually. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really, totally agree with you VR. There are so many people I picture as their avatars - censored, tdarko, patrick. Remember when Salt was a thin black musician? It's weird seeing what posters actually look like. I don't like it! Hm...I'm going back to my old avatar I think.