Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Thoughts on why I\'m not a better player

Here's a hand that, at the time, I thought I played well, but in retrospect I played it terribly. Why did I misplay it? A combination of mild tilt, impatience, and not thinking things through completely.

Here's the hand:

100NL (.50/1) on WPEX. Effective stacks $97. I'm on the button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Folded to me. I open for $3.50. SB reraises to $12.

Now, SB has been doing this a lot. Like, this is the 4th or 5th time he's done it to me so far this session, and I haven't been playing that long.

I've only had mediocre cards when I'd been 3-bet by him so far though (he's folded to my AA/KK/AK type hands, of course), so, I'm sick of it. Ok, I've got a cracking hand, I'm in position, and I'm not gonna let this guy 3-bet me relentlessly. I call. Let's see a flop.

Flop:

(Pot ~$24) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets $22

Of course, he cbets. He's been reraising all the time, so he could have anything. Does he have a Q? Probably not. He's probably got some pair, or AK, or air. I've haven't played back at him hard yet, so, he'll probably give me some respect when I finally do. He probably doesn't have a Q and, if I push, he'll be afraid that I might have a Q (or not be able to call with air), and will fold.

Hero raises all-in to $85

SB calls $63

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB shows J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and takes it down.

Oops.

That's exactly the type of hand that I thought he would fold! WHAT THE [censored] WAS HE THINKING? HOW COULD HE THINK HIS JJ WAS GOOD THERE?

Well, let's see.

Did I have notes on him, so that I would have a good idea what HE might be thinking I had? No. I just assumed he would put me on the Q.

Had I been paying attention to how he behaved in other hands that I wasn't involved in? No, I was busy 4 tabling.

All I knew was that he 3-bet a lot pf in steal situations.

Maybe he figured that if I really had a Q, I would have just called.

Maybe, given the two spades on the board, he put me on a flush draw and figured he was ahead.

Maybe he saw it for exactly what it was - that I was sick of him reraising me and decided to make a play.

Maybe he thought that my range there didn't often contain a Q, and wasn't worried about AA/KK because I didn't 4-bet.

Did I consider any of that? No.

On the other hand, maybe he just went "durrrrr I have two pair", or "duhhhhh I have JJ I can't fold". Did I stop to think whether I knew if he was that type of player or not? No, I didn't.

Maybe I should have considered the possibility that HE may have had a flush draw and would call anyway and, even if he missed, would win with A high or whatever.

Maybe I should have waited for a better spot.

Maybe I should have waited until I had a better read on this guy.

Maybe I should have quit playing earlier in the session when some douchebag on another table pissed me off by cracking my top set by runner runnering a straight with his T4o that he called a pf reraise with.

Maybe all this is why I'm OK but not great yet.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on why I\'m not a better player

I think you definitely got owned in this hand and I would stop trying to justify your play by asking how Villain could have played this hand so badly.....Put you on the Q? Ummmm.....think about how often it is you flop trips...not very. Many players will take your line with TT-88 at this level. I like calling here with the intention of making a move on the flop but I think this is a bad flop to do it on precisely because you get looked up by some of the higher pocket pairs here. Also, sounds like you got frustrated and said "enough of this!". Getting frustrated by aggressive play is definitely going to hold you back. Also, just as a general comment, tightening up from the button with an overaggro BB is an option--though definitely 9Ts is a great hand to play a reraised pot in position with. Remember, you're playing to win money, not pots...And at least give yourself a little equity next time you do this would be my advice.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 AM

pf, if he's pfrring you a lot, he probably doesn't have much, this means that you should 4 bet..... say to $44.... he will almost alway fold and will often slow down with his pfrring

calling is inferior imo, but you do have position... your hand is weak though

anyway, i don't like pf, use aggression in position and at the right time (for example vs. someone who will often fold)

on the flop, gimmme a break you may not get AK to fold..... also most people cbet paired flops small... they also cbet pfrred pots small..... villain made a HUGE cbet considering that not only is it a paired flop but a pfrred flop, ime he's not folding ever, just givne pf action and flop bet

give up, you decided to call a pfrr w/ a speculative hand and you hit absolute air on a flop where no one gives anyone credit for anything, paired flops are notorious for causing spewage because no one folds but every thinks the other guy will, since no one believes anyone has anything

cliff notes:
fold or raise pf, fold flop
Old 07-01-2007, 02:41 AM

NH

well it's certainly not awful, but if i dont know villains tendencies in 3 bet pots, i wouldn't push often with 0 outs if called
Old 07-01-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't push often with 0 outs if called PERIOD

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-01-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't say ever cuz i do it all the time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't say ever cuz i do it all the time [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, yeah, "often" is an important word there
Old 07-01-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pf, if he's pfrring you a lot, he probably doesn't have much, this means that you should 4 bet..... say to $44.... he will almost alway fold and will often slow down with his pfrring

calling is inferior imo, but you do have position... your hand is weak though

anyway, i don't like pf, use aggression in position and at the right time (for example vs. someone who will often fold)

on the flop, gimmme a break you may not get AK to fold..... also most people cbet paired flops small... they also cbet pfrred pots small..... villain made a HUGE cbet considering that not only is it a paired flop but a pfrred flop, ime he's not folding ever, just givne pf action and flop bet

give up, you decided to call a pfrr w/ a speculative hand and you hit absolute air on a flop where no one gives anyone credit for anything, paired flops are notorious for causing spewage because no one folds but every thinks the other guy will, since no one believes anyone has anything

cliff notes:
fold or raise pf, fold flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this.

And, clearly, there are more thought provoking things about this hand than the hand itself.