Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Default 6.5$ ITM PLAY : SB-BB Battle

was my push correct, i think i have enough fold equity and dont think he would do this with a really strong hand because ppl at this lvl always min raise their monsters or something. anyway if i knew that he would have lets say AK which he couldnt fold here is this still a big enough edge to push ? i think he made two mistakes he raised instead of pushing and then he calls which was also wrong.

i like to hear what you guys have to say. still here to learn

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t5320)
Button (t2850)
SB (t5330)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], 5[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]].
[color=Gray]1 fold</font>, [color=Red]SB raises to t1200</font>, [color=Red]Hero raises to t5320 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t4120.

Flop: (t10640) 7[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], K[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 3[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t10640) A[[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t10640) A[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [color=Blue](2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t10640

Results in white below: [color=White]
SB has Ks Js (two pair, aces and kings).
Hero has 5c 5s (two pair, aces and fives).
Outcome: SB wins t10640. </font>
Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 6.5$ ITM PLAY : SB-BB Battle

pocket pair + ITM = nuts. I like your push.

as for the itm play, it really depends, I don't think 6.5 villains can let go of pretty looking face cards after an open raise
Old 06-30-2007, 05:26 PM

You do have some FE, but you should realize he is not going to fold 90+% of the time after a 3x raise this late.

I mostly push and hope to see A4 or the like, but realize I'm probably in a coinflip.

Sometimes I will call PF and go from there, pushing if checked to everytime, or calling a push after the flop, as long as the board isn't AK10 or something.

What about mucking and waiting to see what happens to the SS?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 AM

I shove in these type of spots. You will fold out hands that will shove over a 3x raise and force you to coinflip.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 AM

Looks good to me.

plenty of FE + likely coinflip = +++EV

E2A: I think you have a lot more than 10% FE here - he's still way ahead of the shortstack in chips if he folds and plenty of villains will either play for 2nd or are raising junk to try and establish a lead.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:46 AM

Your fine. nh. Just don't even bother posting the results, though. Oh and use another hand converter, that one sucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. But good shove.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pocket pair + ITM = nuts. I like your push.

as for the itm play, it really depends, I don't think 6.5 villains can let go of pretty looking face cards after an open raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple things here. I personally think the 6.50s have gotten a little more competitive over the last couple months. Maybe just a few less donks and a few more with a clue. Don't get me wrong, it's still donkament city.

The other thing, sort of an offshoot of that, when you get to the bubble or ITM at the 6.50s, a lot of the time the donks are gone, so I think you assume a little more skill at this point in the tourney outside of any specific reads. Obviously in this case villian wasn't too sharp, but in general they're usually at least decent at this point in the tourney.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:12 AM

What do people think of a stop'n'go here? (Not auto-AI on the flop - stack sizes are perfect for a PSB with, obv, a commitment to get it AI if necessary.)

I hardly ever use them, but a small PP OOP against a button raise from a stack that you can annihilate is a decent spot to consider it. I know it's more orthodox to use it as a small stack (I tried it the other day with a 6BB stack and 44 in the BB and (amazingly) the big stack folded to my 35% pot bet), but we have way more FE as a big stack and more FE than we had preflop, so why not?

If it works we have a nice chip lead and might also discombobulate the other big stack enough that he either shuts down or tilts it all off.

As I said, I like the push in the OP - but is this an alternative worth considering?