Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 PM

Default No Limit - Limit How to Choose?

If you are just getting started in hold em how do you choose between Limit and No Limit? Any suggestions
Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: No Limit - Limit How to Choose?

if you have a NL beside ur name then play NL
Old 06-30-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have a NL beside ur name then play NL

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM

I played limit ring games for a long time simply because I didn't want to play tournaments. Then I tried NL cash games, and now I only rarely play limit.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 PM

do most of you players find it more frustrating to lose in no limit or limit? For me, when i lose in no limit, i go on tilt but in limit i feel like i am losing slowly but gradually. Which is worst?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Losing is losing.

Limit is an easier game to learn and there are plenty of bad players at the lower stakes. Start there, because you can get OK at it more quickly and learn some things on the way. When you start playing NL, you will have to unlearn some things. If you pay attention, you start to understand why some things work in limit and not NL as well as vice versa. Playing both makes you a better player.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:02 AM

I started with limit so I'm probably biased. But FWIW, I think that's the better route to go with...the nature of the limit games, particularly at the micro-stakes, is such that you can get some pretty cheap experience in all kinds of situations & with all kinds of starting hands. The more different scenarios you see played out, the better you will get at recognizing them and reacting appropriately--whether in limit or no limit.

Plus, as others said, limit is generally easier to pick up, and will probably be cheaper for you while you do learn the basics. And there's much, much more written material available to help you out.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 AM

i tried to play limit, lasted a week until the thoughts of gouging my eye balls out with a fork were more enjoyable then sitting at a comp and playing limit for an hour.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 AM

Craig, great question; I think that many people (almost everybody) asks this when they first get started, and most go to the NL tables, because that's what they see on TV and have likely played if they play home games. I think this is a mistake. Online I think you'll find it a lot easier to click a button and throw in some chips. This will be the case if you're chasing a draw you should not chase or if you're just bound and determined that player x is a bluffer, and you're riding him down with a paired board, flush possibility, and all you have is a King high. Believe me. It happens.

Most people, when they get into online poker, don't want to "gamble" with a bunch of money. Now those of us who've played for a while know that if you make the right decisions with the right amount of money in the pot, your gambling has a 100% chance of profiting in the long run. But most players want to initially sit down with, say, $50. While you're learning, that's fine, but you're not going to make a full-time job out of it.

Because more people play more loosely than you will (should), at lower-level ring games, you'll really want to play at Limit Hold 'em, at least while you're getting the feel of online poker. Limit Hold 'em is more susceptible to drawing than is no-limit, so you can't just go all in with your KK when a J, 8, 2 comes up on the board. You can bet and raise, yes, but most players see the aggression and won't cap. Some will. A guy with QJ might, but you'd have to be watching him up until then to be able to tell. If he catches that Q on the turn you're screwed, but look...if he were in NL, and you went all-in, at lower levels he might have very well called you anyway. And he catches the Q on the turn. And you lose more of your money.

Play choice hands and build your bankroll in Limit. It's why most players, I'd say, play limit. Then when you have "x" number of buy-ins, maybe switch over to the NL side. If losing that amount would KILL you, though, then you've gotta switch back over to limit until you've got a comfortable amount.

True...Limit will not teach you very well to play most of the tournaments, but limit will teach you discipline and patience as you're building your bankroll and getting ready to take the poker world on by storm. Hope this helps. Take care.

Cameron
Old 07-01-2007, 08:39 AM

I have a bit of a wierd take on this,

If you are looking to enhoy yourself while playing poker i'd definetly avoid NL games online, all the multitabeling tags make it boring as hell, in MTT or medium+ stakes limit there is alot more play