Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Default i guess meduim pairs are hard to play

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($48.55)
MP ($123.75)
CO :#A500AF(villan)/ ($33.10)
Hero ($126.05)
SB ($240)
BB ($153.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO :#A500AF(villan)/ calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO :#A500AF(villan)/ calls $3.

Flop: ($9.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
villan checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($9.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villan bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($19.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villan bets $5</font>, Hero ???

for the record i just wanna say that i misclicked and meant to raise it to 5 preflop. I figured hed call anyways. most of my friends say that when players limp in and call raises in these 6max games that they usually have small-middle pairs. I think that most of the time they do, but ive seen alot of them do this with hands like Axsuited, any two broadways, and even stupid hands like 4Qsuited or something. I think betting the flop is +ev because more than not villan is gonan have a smallish pair here andis gonna fold almost always to a bet. But i guess i went against my reasoning and decided not to try a continuation bet.(probably because lately they havent been working at all). So on the turn he makes a very weak bet, if he wasnt checking, then this is the exact bet i predicted hed do. I wanna point out that raising here isnt an option becuase lately ive noticed that any form of a bluff in 50c 1$ besides a cont bet is absolutely -ev. If anyone reading this thinks that blufifng in the 50c 1$ games works please support that with evidence and reasoning because i get called way too much by hands that even beat only one hand in my entire range. is calling this turn bet a good or reasonable play? is calling the river +ev?, or an autofold? and in situations that one villan will limp in then call my pf raise and one or two cards higher than a 10 comes is cont betting my small/middle pairs the best play? and is the reasoning for that because he usually has a small pair and usually will fold?
and lastly, these are the most annoying spots in the 50c 1$ games i get into( besides getting check min riased when i have nothing) any advice on how to avoid them entirely?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: i guess meduim pairs are hard to play

Personally I just like to limp behind and take a flop here. You are barely ahead of or behind a lot of CO's range. If you do decide to raise, I think you have to C-bet the flop here.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Also, yes, I rarely if ever run any kind of multi-street bluff and I play NL50 and NL100. They just won't work that often.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM

c- bet flop.

I prob call the river just because its only 5.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 PM

i agree with all of ur comments.
about what A10cheif said, ive been experimenting with limping in about an open limp with pairs 88 and lower because my cont bets have been working drmatically less lately(mainly this month). but i wouldnt feel right limping with 77 on the button like this, and i know if i did most commenters would scold me for it
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with all of ur comments.
about what A10cheif said, ive been experimenting with limping in about an open limp with pairs 88 and lower because my cont bets have been working drmatically less lately(mainly this month). but i wouldnt feel right limping with 77 on the button like this, and i know if i did most commenters would scold me for it

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, if there has already been a limper or two as in this case. If it folds to you on the button, then hell yeah, raise it up.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:33 PM

Hand looks good except raise to 5 like you already said. Flop goes either way c-betting is good but checking behind is fine too. Turn call is fine. River you're getting about 5 to 1 so I'd call and take a note of what hands he makes weak bets with.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:06 PM

i think you can safely fold the turn here
Old 06-30-2007, 07:28 PM

bet flop...fold turn, call the river
Old 06-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Your getting good odds but you are probably never ahead on the river.

Raise PF - I check this flop a lot and there is an argument for just folding the turn