Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Capping (5 bets) the non-nut flush (and benefitting the action player)

15/30 live, full ring, eight players, one walker. Five bets is the cap here.

Table is playing reasonably loose and slightly passive. UTG is there for the purpose of action and is stuck maybe three racks. He was playing maniacally but has since settled down. I'd love to keep this guy in the game and have given him action at every opportunity, playing draws very hard.

UTG limps and gets an overcaller. The next player raises, there's a cold call and I cold call a raise with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The rest of the table, except the small blind come along and we're seven handed to the flop.

Flop comes: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets, gets called in three spots and I three bet. One guy calls behind and two fold. UTG now three bets. A cap here is five bets. In holding the non-nut flush would you prefer to keep it at three or given that the other players aren't showing much aggression you figure that your Q high flush draw is good. I'm quite sure that if I go to four that the villain will cap.

Secondly, it will be very much in my interest to have this villain win a big pot (unless I win it myself). Is that consideration married to my presumed equity edge a good justification to go five bets on a five handed flop? Is that even a fair issue to bring into the equation?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Capping (5 bets) the non-nut flush (and benefitting the action pla

The biggest concern you should have is how many players are staying in the pot. If we're 4-5 handed, captown is fine with me. There are other ways to keep bad players playing. Giving them money you want to be earning is really a secondary concern.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest concern you should have is how many players are staying in the pot. If we're 4-5 handed, captown is fine with me. There are other ways to keep bad players playing. Giving them money you want to be earning is really a secondary concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was quite certain that the whole field was coming along. I also felt it very likely that the villain had the best made hand. I figured that I had the best draw but am curious how others handle this piece of judgment and how it affects their willingness to jam this five handed flop.

Of course, had I the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a cap is an easy decision.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG bets, gets called in three spots and I three bet. One guy calls behind and two fold. UTG now three bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

...noticed the typo...meant to say I raise.