Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Did I goof anywhere?

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Did I goof anywhere?

The flop cap is overboard and the turn raise is madness. Put your opponent on a hand. Does he really come out swinging on the turn after a capped flop with like A9? Maybe he does, I don't play those limits, but I doubt it. When he threebets the flop, he should be saying that he has a lot of hands that raise preflop and raise the flop beaten, i.e. he should have AQ at least. You could actually make a case for folding the turn, versus a rational player; you're most likely drawing to three outs and don't have anywhere near required pot odds.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 AM

The only way this line is correct against a LAGtard you have seen spewing away money by capping with bottom pair. I've seen it, so I won't discount it, but if your opponent is any good at all, when he 3 bets you on the flop, you should be thinking fold or at a minimum not building a bigger pot when you are behind.

What hand did you put him on? Why?

Based on his passive play preflop and his aggression on the flop I'm thinking he hit a set of 4s. (Could also have 2s or even 3-5 sooooooted for the str8)
Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM

I don't think you needed to cap the flop or raise the turn. A hand like yours (TPGK with little chance of improving) is a perfect call down hand to keep the pot small.

I can't see villain holding AK or AQ since he would have raised pf so I put him on Ax hearts and perhaps 44. So overall, he could have a couple of hands you beat (before the river) and few you might not beat. Actually there are probably more hands that beat than you but for the pots odds, simply calling the turn and river bets are probably correct.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the input. I felt like I played it badly, I wanted some thoughts from some more experienced players.

I had put him on a weaker ace and I think I got overaggressive. He ended up winning with Ah 3h.

Anyway, thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 02:48 PM

OP, next time, just post this in the micro stakes limit forum.

For the hand, slow down on the turn.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Well, now that you saw this guy play a draw that strong, you have good reason to make him pay for hands where you have TPGK. If you knew this about him in advance, then you actually played the hand well.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Before I read your second post in which you reveal that villain had A3h, i was thinking that this looks like the way a clueless, overaggressive micro-stakes player would play a flush draw. If you read him for a flush draw on the flop, then jamming the flop is absolutely correct. It appears that you did not have a read though so i would just call down after getting 3 bet by villain on the flop. I think a turn raise is not called for unless you were certain he would play the draw this way.