Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Any advice for getting really really good

Just want to say thanks for the advice given. Much appreciated and I'm sure you'll see more and more posts from myself in the future.

Only thing I disagree is the moving up when you lose, to get your money back. I used to do this in my first couple of months, and the result ensured I lost heavily. If I'm not playing great or have a few bad beats, I thhink that I don't play my top game, even though I feel i'm not on tilt, your confidence is slightly dented, and indecision is not the frame of mind to be in. I actually do the opposite. Step down a level until I cash in a STT. I feel ending a session on a winning game lets me review things more open minded rather than with the "I'm so damn unlucky feeling." And dwelling on one or two hands that once reviewed need no more attention.

Anyways thanks again. Oh and please post more...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

My main advice is to play a lot. Books and forums are great tools and will help accelerate your learning, but at the end of the day there is no substitute for experience.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My main advice is to play a lot. Books and forums are great tools and will help accelerate your learning, but at the end of the day there is no substitute for experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this guy has just told you all you need to know. I would possibly add that you should be playing well, well within your roll until you are 100% comfy playing at the higher level - as opposed to feeling the rush.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you lose a SNG, move up to a higher buy-in then eventually you will win one and get your money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

wp
Old 06-29-2007, 09:45 PM

no offense, but not everyone can become a great player. but youve only been playing 9 montths and i never really started to get good until 2-3 years in. you will lose money!! thats just the truth, but hopefully you learn from all of these "lessons" and in time get good and will be a winning player in time. gl
Old 06-29-2007, 11:13 PM

All the advice you need has already been said. I would just like to reitterate though that IMO when you first start playing seriously, play a limit where you are completely comfortable with the amount of money. I ithnk this allows you to play freer and experiment more and improve. Having said that, obviously there comes a point that in order to take that next step you need to play higher. By all means, start taking shots at higher limits but practice good BR management as you do this. That is where i'm at right now in the learning process (starting to move up limits) and having the proper bankroll will give you more confidence as you do this and allow you to assess your play objectively without being too distraught over the size of the pot you lost. Taking bad beats will happen but when you have the proper BR you can absorb those hits more easily and prevent yourself from getting into a negative mindset. Some people move up more aggressively and other more slowly... To some degree that just depends on personal preference and what your end goal for poker is. I tihnk most of Bankroll advice on this forum is solid. Pick a system you are comfortable with and stick to it. Good Luck!