Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: The Logical Implications Of China\'s Lack Of Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
3. God doesn't care about being fair or just.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who's read the Old Testament already knows this to be true. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
3. God doesn't care about being fair or just.

Anyone who's read the Old Testament already knows this to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exodus 22:21
" You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Exodus 22:22
You shall not afflict any widow or orphan.

Deuteronomy 24:17
17"You shall not pervert the justice due an alien or an orphan, nor take a widow's garment in pledge.

Jeremiah 7
6if you do not oppress the alien, the orphan, or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place, nor walk after other gods to your own ruin,
7then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers forever and ever.

Exodus 23:6
"You shall not pervert the justice due to your needy brother in his dispute.

Exodus 23:2

You shall not follow the masses in doing evil, nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after a multitude in order to pervert justice;

Deuteronomy 10:18
"He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing.

Deuteronomy 24:19
" When you reap your harvest in your field and have forgotten a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Psalm 10:
17O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble;
You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear
18To vindicate the orphan and the oppressed,
So that man who is of the earth will no longer cause terror.

Isaiah 1:17
Learn to do good; Seek justice,Reprove the ruthless, Defend the orphan,Plead for the widow.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Who on this forum wants to lay me 400-1 odds that within five years Not Ready will convert to Judaism? I'll bet up to $300.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who on this forum wants to lay me 400-1 odds that within five years Not Ready will convert to Judaism? I'll bet up to $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not good for this, and 400-1 is a pretty ridiculous line, but 50-1 sounds really hot to me.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 AM

Considerations like this lead me to believe hell doesnt exist. If there's a benevolent God and if there's a heaven then I cant understand how it wouldnt be open to everyone, without exception.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exodus 22:21
" You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone can make a post just as big containing the attrocities of the old testament
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think its more unfair that being unexposed will give u a free pass. that means the best place to be born in raised is in a jungle somewhere, and die at about age 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be even better off as an aborted fetus.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think it's more likely that he'll become atheist/agnostic. I've seen it many times -- people like him who embrace the rational aspects of Calvinism, and spend a lot of time and energy trying to defend their beliefs, will sooner or later see that his position is not rational, and will give up -- effectively becoming agnostic/atheist.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The important thing about an Interpretation is the Spiritual Direction in which it leads a person.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very pernicious kind of nonsense. How do you decide what spiritual direction is most important? For example, if war erupts in the Middle East, and I'm sent with the army, what is the correct spiritual path when a militant is shooting at me? One would think that killing others is one of the worst spiritual acts one can undertake. Should I turn the other cheek, and let the Islamic militants rule the world?

What if my interpretation of the bible is that I'm spiritually required to stone people who commit adultery, so that God might spare their soul? What if my interpretation is such that true compassion requires me to subdue the infidels and force them to learn the ways of Allah, for the benefit of their eternal souls?

Truth is everything. You make it sound simple with your binary alternatives: "tolerance or intolerance, humility or self righteousness, inclusion or exclusion, self esteem or self loathing, optimism or pessimism, common sense or superstition, friendliness or haughtiness, modesty or smugness, caring or coldness, sympathetic or judgemental, generous or cramped"

but in reality they're just words that have little meaning in real life. How do we make decisions without accurate, unbiased knowledge of the world? By your reckoning, someone whose life is improved by the weirdness of Scientology and Dianetics, and who becomes more optimistic, more caring, more sypathetic, more generous as a result, should continue believing in that nonsense? That's exactly what you're advocating.

I believe philosophies that choose truths based on outcomes are responsible for most of the evil in the world. And yet that's exactly what you're advocating.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tempting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Since the actual chance for this to happen is zero, 400:1 looks like damn good odds.