Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Default would like to introduce a new poker game tonight, thoughts?

Team,

we play once a month and usually play the following

hold'em
Omaha h/l
follow the queen
midnight baseball
Forced guts
screw your neighbor
heaven and hell
iron cross/burning cross
King little
almost forgot ACEY/DUCEY*

I heard of a game called lemonade, but dont know any details. Can you help team?

*last month we had an Acey/Ducey pot worth $500. 1 guy lost $350. another guy threw up from laughter. damnit i love me some Acey/ducey.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: would like to introduce a new poker game tonight, thoughts?

First off, I am not a fan of anything with wild cards, so I wont be able to help you there....BUT I do like me some guts or screw your neighbor!

Anyways, maybe try some other legit poker games, like pineapple or triple draw. How about Razz? I am sure somebody else can come up with better.

The thought of needing to spice up a game with GUTS in it makes my palms sweat!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:48 PM

especially when its forced guts.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Tried Shipwreck? 7-stud, lowest card down is wild. Wild card applies to your own up cards (obviously), last card down can "wreck" you, hence the name.

I also recommend 7/27, it's a bit more complex, however. Everyone antes to start, (I play 20$ buy in cash game at a buddies with 5-8 people regularly, so we ante .25 to start). This is a split card game, the objective is to try to get closest to 7 or 27 (high/low, if you will). Point values are face for everything but royalty; ace=1 or 11 (as in blackjack), JQK = 1/2 point.

After ante, everyone is dealt one card, face down. Then every player is asked if they want a card. If the answer is no, they get a "counter" (this is the tricky part). After taking 3 counters IN A ROW, that player can no longer recieve counters (they have chosen to "stay"). If a player takes one or two counters, and on the next turn takes a card, all counters are removed. After cards are dealt each round, there is a round of betting (it is best to use a limit or this game can get VERY expensive VERY fast, we use 2$ max). Game continues until everyone folds or everyone in a round declines cards (everyone stays). Closest players to 7 and 27 split the pot. If there are 2 players equal distance from a pot (ie, 6.5 and 7.5), they split THAT HALF of the pot (as in a high tie in omaha hi/lo).

That's it, it's not as complex as it sounds, and it's an interesting way to move some chips around. Nice little filler game in between rounds of Texas.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM

variation of the 'shipwreck' - make it a roll your own game.

Auction - I hate it. Deal everyone a 5 card hand. Put 5 cards in the middle face down. Turn over the first card. Auction begins. Winner pays for the card, then puts one of his cards in the middle. wash, rinse, repeat until no one wants the up card. Flip over the next card. Repeat, etc. Round of betting at the end. Occassionally it is good. Better to play late in the night when it's harder to recall who bought exactly what.

We play a couple variations similar to X. H (good for gamblers as they get a whole 3 new card option at the end) and N being the most common. 4 rounds of betting. Deal each player 4 cards. bet, flip top two, bet, flip bottom two, bet, flip middle 3, bet.

Circle Jerk - four cards a player. 6 cards in a cicle. flip 2 opposites, bet, flip 2 more, bet, flop last 2, bet. Play 3 consecutive cards (can be played H/L easily)
Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Shipwreck sounds a bit like King little, but i am def interested in 7/27.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:42 PM

You cand do "44". Everybody gets 4 cards and there are 4 community cards down. There's a round of betting (no check, either bet or fold) and one of the cards is turned up. You keep doing the same until all the cards are up. Winner is the best five card hand (you can use any combination from your dealt hand and/or the community cards).

Other games: 4-play (7 stud, all fours are wild. If there's a four up that person has the choice of buying another card down at the end of the deal. Price of the card to be set by the dealer).

Anaconda, buy a card, Crazy pineapple, Double flop HE, etc.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:55 AM

These games can be really fun
Old 06-30-2007, 11:48 AM

7 card no-peek ftw
Old 06-30-2007, 10:19 PM

2-7 bounty NLHE
If a player wins a pot and shows 2-7 (it can be anything like a blind steal)every player must be them a fixed ammount (like 1 big blind)