Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Internet Texas Hold \'em by Matthew Hilger

Has anyone read this book and what are your thoughts on it? Also, what are peoples thoughts on this author? I have not heard much about him but I saw that he has three books out already.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Internet Texas Hold \'em by Matthew Hilger

This is an outstanding book that should be read by anyone trying to master the game of limit holdem.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:02 AM

I find his starting hands charts useful. It makes a beginner realize that the number of people already in the pot influences the starting hands you play.
The book itself is perfect for beginners I think. Good and clear explanation on outs, pot odds and other concepts. He teaches a style that is not too aggresive. But people should read Sklanky's books on poker after this one. If you already read and understand the limit books coming from Sklansky, Hilgers book won't have much to add I think...
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 AM

This is a great book for starting players. However, be warned, this book is written for limit ring games only (so don't buy it if you want to play NL tourneys).

The author also has his own website and forum (I'm probably not allowed to post a link, but it's the same as the book title). There is a section on there where he answers questions relating to topics in his books.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an outstanding book that should be read by anyone trying to master the game of limit holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was my first pokerbook, it is really great.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM

I started playing poker last year and only got around to reading this book in April....i really wish i had read it sooner...it certainly helped answer questions i had about playing certain hands after the flop that i couldnt find elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have read SSHE and enjoyed the info. I now plan on reading this book based on the responses I have received here.

Has anyone read any of Hilger's other publications and what are you thoughts on those?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM

This is a great limit book. In fact if there's just one limit book to buy, this would be it.

His next book on Odds was OK, but if you understand that stuff you won't learn a ton. It probably fills a niche market for those either struggling with the concept, or who have heard of this "pot odds thing" from TV and the book catches their eye. However there are some interesting NL topics about odds in there that are worth a read.

The last book is written primarily by his co-author and is quite good. It's all about the meta game, and obviously that's really important stuff. (I don't mean reading people, that's part of the game per se.) The nice thing about the book is that it collects and organizes all the tidbits you've heard into one cohesive volume. If it has a weakness it's probably the subject matter itself. It's sort of like NLHTAP - the stuff in there is semi-obvious when you stop and think about it. But organizing the thoughts all together helps make the points more salient, and therefore you'll be more likely to actually do the stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 PM

It's a great book. I recommend it
Old 06-30-2007, 11:29 AM

It's an excellent book, and definitely worth reading.

My only slight problem with it is that the first section - Poker Concepts - introduces bluffing and other things that I feel sure would have been better dealt with at a later stage.

I can imagine more than a few beginners being put off by being asked to work out implied odds before they've been told anything about starting hands.

Overall, though, an excellent read. (And the hand quizzes are superb.)

Just my two-pennyworth.