Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Trying to improve your game? How?

I thought I knew what I wanted out of poker. I started at penny games and wanted to constantly move up. But as I started playing 25nl-50nl the money became real here. It no longer was a game, and I think that's why I didn't move up. I was content with just making a few dollars on the side, but I think I want to branch out a little now.

So I'm trying to break away from this small ball mentality and go a bit bigger. I'm not being challenged much at 25NL, the decisions aren't mind boggling and there are enough fish to play my C game and still profit.

I also need to learn to quit better. Too often I lose a couple buy-ins and start to tilt and before I know it, Im pushing with flush draws, calling all-ins with two pair and end the session down 5.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to the "Professional No-Limit..." book by Flynn, Mehta, and Miller? I have this pre-ordered as well. This it the first time I have pre-ordered anything.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, I'm pretty sure this is going to rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

hope it meets your needs! if you're trying to become a successful mid-limit pro, it should help a lot. if you already are a successful mid-limit pro, you'll probably still get a fair amount out of the last third of it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 AM

I preordered this today too.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to the "Professional No-Limit..." book by Flynn, Mehta, and Miller? I have this pre-ordered as well. This it the first time I have pre-ordered anything.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup, I'm pretty sure this is going to rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

hope it meets your needs! if you're trying to become a successful mid-limit pro, it should help a lot. if you already are a successful mid-limit pro, you'll probably still get a fair amount out of the last third of it.

[/ QUOTE ]I have no doubt I will learn a lot. I'm not trying to be a pro, but I do want to become a better player.

BTW, what is considered "mid-limit"?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In my mind it's 2-5 to 5-10. Others may see it differently.

Our goal is to make people successful at those levels. PNL v 1 is the framework for thinking about hands, planning them, and making nl decisions. We'll build on that extensively and have a lot of specific play recs in later volumes.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Our goal is to make people successful at those levels. PNL v 1 is the framework for thinking about hands, planning them, and making nl decisions. We'll build on that extensively and have a lot of specific play recs in later volumes.

[/ QUOTE ]
5-10 live or online?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 PM

2 things that really pay off for me

1) goto penny stakes (something so low you don't care about the money and losing it) and play every single hand in position. Cold call every raise and raise every time it is limped to you. What it does is help you learn to hand read and go through different lines that your opponent's play and what it means. Believe it or not, the roots of most higher level play is already evident.
A more extreme version is to play every hand out of position to see how difficult it is and what lines you can take.
Both will improve your hand reading quite a bit.

2) Pick out a HERO at a higher stake game (2-3 levels higher) and datamine him like crazy. Then, review his sessions. Try to see the nuances of his/her play. Hand read at that higher level. Try to understand the actions s/he takes. Think through it and try to put yourself into their mind.
Actually, pick out 2 or 3 HEROES.

There are about 6 guys out there at FTP that have developed my game more than any coach, yet they don't even know that I exist and that I watch them.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing i like doing that helps out a ton:

After a session, look into poker tracker and go to session notes. Make it so that you see your biggest pots won and biggest pots lost. Review these hands over and find better ways to play, see if you could of lost less money or maybe got more value in big pots. If you are stuck on the hand, post it in a forum and have others tell you what you could have done differently.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM

5-10 live or online.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I am going to guess (hope?) that it will still be helpful for lower limit players as well. I've never read a solid poker book that hasn't helped my game.