Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 AM

Default what\'s the etiquette here?

So, I'm sitting in first place in a Stars .50 MTT last night, it's about midnight, and I have to get up early in the am at work. I'd love to stick it out, but I just can't.

So, I dump off my chips and finish in the 70's ($1.50, yay!) Right after I do so, I think "Damn, why didn't I just sit out, I surely could've made a bit more money."

Is this ethical? Would I be breaking online MTT etiquette?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: what\'s the etiquette here?

No ettiquite rule would be broken if you logged out and let your chair fold into the $.
Just ask Vinny Vinn. His empty seat has cashed twice at the WSOP so far!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM

Stu Ungar did it ... mind you it was because he was completely strung out and his nose fell off, not because he was sleepy

I'd just sit out ... I've seen both done and it irritates me a little when someone decides to dump and I don't get cards.

Sitting out spreads the chippies around
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 AM

I've been in this situation a few times - always in a tourney where the money was completely insignificant to me. (if the money matters, you play it out, obv...)

What I do is announce to the table that I'm pushing for the next five hands, then sitting out. Then I do it... I either bust out, or I put some poor schmo on life-tilt when my 72o cracks their aces, and then I sit out with a bigger stack, allowing me to win an extra 75 cents...

weeee!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been in this situation a few times - always in a tourney where the money was completely insignificant to me. (if the money matters, you play it out, obv...)

What I do is announce to the table that I'm pushing for the next five hands, then sitting out. Then I do it... I either bust out, or I put some poor schmo on life-tilt when my 72o cracks their aces, and then I sit out with a bigger stack, allowing me to win an extra 75 cents...

weeee!

[/ QUOTE ]
As someone just said, both options annoy me, so I suppose this is a fairer compromise.

I've also been on the wrong end when someone said "53 here, gotta go". I called with KK and he flopped trips. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM

how about the reverse? This scenerio comes up every of often with me in SNGs. It will be down to 3-4 people and one person will be sitting out. What are you thoughts on softplaying each other until the sitting out person is blinded out?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how about the reverse? This scenerio comes up every of often with me in SNGs. It will be down to 3-4 people and one person will be sitting out. What are you thoughts on softplaying each other until the sitting out person is blinded out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangerous - you always have some clown who tries to get you to agree - in chat - to softplay. Even with the guy sitting out, it's considered collusion, and can get you in trouble with the site.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 PM

A few months ago for fun I was playing a MTT and about 2 hours in I'm on a new table that's full and about 20 hands in I realize that there's only one other person at my table who is actually there. The rest must have logged off. It sucked big time because I caught a run of cards but of course couldn't get paid off and the blinds weren't high enough yet to cause our table to break.

The hilarious part was watching the other guy take his time and make his bets and sometimes fold after me (on those rare occasions). He really had no idea.