Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Jeff Madsen Eats Sushi on The Real World / WSOP Trishelle Effect

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, cause the first year was all because he was the best player in the wsop.

Seriously, do you think anything he does during the wsop will have nearly the same effect on how well he does in the tournaments as how well he runs? He ran hotter than gobboboy last year.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, cause the first year was all because he was the best player in the wsop.

Seriously, do you think anything he does during the wsop will have nearly the same effect on how well he does in the tournaments as how well he runs? He ran hotter than god last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's obviously the best player in the world, El Diablo said so.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 AM

I check out the word, wins-alot-of-poker-tournament on dictionary.com and this came up:

runs hot
Old 06-29-2007, 06:30 AM

Well, you guys can say what you want, but I'm much more inclined to think that he's still a very strong player despite running super hot.

Two bracelets and two thirds in one WSOP, and in different events, deserves at least some credit. I'm not saying crown him the next Phil Ivey or anything, but come on. The fact that he can even compete in games other than NLHE at his age is an accomplishment.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

maybe his 20k a week coke habit is having an effect on his results?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 AM

This is the 2nd time in two days that I have read a post from a good player giving Madsen little, to no, credit for his performance in 2006. No doubt the guy had to have run good, but to have four top 3 performances & win 2 bracelets in 4 different forms (NL, NL 6max, Stud h/l, Omaha h/l/) of poker is damn impressive. Why not just give the guy a little credit.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the 2nd time in two days that I have read a post from a good player giving Madsen little, to no, credit for his performance in 2006. No doubt the guy had to have run good, but to have four top 3 performances & win 2 bracelets in 4 different forms (NL, NL 6max, Stud h/l, Omaha h/l/) of poker is damn impressive. Why not just give the guy a little credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR ME LATELY?!?!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe his 20k a week coke habit is having an effect on his results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is fair game lol
Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to give ANYONE credit for being good based off tournament results. I've seen Madsen play, I've seen the way he talks about poker, he does not impress me nearly as much as people who have nowhere near the results he has. Tournaments have so much variance that there exists no one who has (or will ever) play enough of them to figure out what their true long run winrate is.

Madsen is better than most people who play in the tournaments, yes, but I would not discuss strategy with him and expect to learn things.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Gobbo,

No knock on your abilities at all, you are obviously a talented player. But by your standards, I guess you do not think we have seen enough of Ivey, Cunningham, or even guys like WestmenloAA to think they will not be long term winners. Or what about Doyle Brunson? No doubt their is a ton of variance in tournament poker, but I have seen enough of a few guys to say with confidence they will be long term winners. That is the great thing about poker...there are several ways to play the game. Just because someone does not play a hand the way you would does not necessarily make their play wrong. Example: mrrain's play in the Sunday Million. You had harsh criticisms of his play in a couple of hands, but he actually gave well thought out reasons for the folds. The guy is almost 50 and he has been a winner for over 20 years so obviously his methods can be effective, even if he does not always make the correct mathematical play.

ab1212