Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

curtains,

why are both you and your sister currently on massive (~100 pt) rating downswings?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
durrr never flat out gave away material in one move and seemed to be working very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not responding to 22. Bd2 in the first down a rook game?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, some of the estimations of how big or small a knight or rook odds are are totally absurd. i don't have a great estimation of what it is, though curtains likely does. however it's obviously a scale that changes. while skills and ratings clump near the top, (even due to just the plain rating adjustment formula being different for higher ratings than low) the same is obviously not true for lower and mid ratings.

my impulse is that no adequately strong (probably any random 2200+ish but maybe any random IM+ is what's necessary. but hey, i'd personally doubt that an expert (2000+) would lose to a champion given a knight) player would ever lose to the world champion if given a knight, and probably 2 pawns would be enough as well.

however the difference between a 1400 and a 2000 is just absurd, and considering we're probably looking at durrr being like an 1100-1200(?), and curtains being a 2400+ (uscf), well, it's just a ridiculous difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

durrr isn't 1100-1200. I am very sensitive to people overrating others because I have had a lot of students in my old schools who actually were 1100-1200. At the moment durrrr is probably in the 900-1050 range. He has an edge because he was relatively smart, in that he was taking the game very seriously and being very careful before every move he made. A weakness of most 900-1100 players is that they move too quickly and it causes them to make huge blunders.

Many times durrrr had made a blunder and was about to move but always saw it (We had a rule that he could make the move on the board but he was still open to make any other move until he actually hit his clock).

The problem is that he has simply no chess experience and knowledge, so he would make too many moves that had nothing to do with what a normal seasoned chessplayer would make. For instance b3 in the 2nd game has absolutely zero to do with the position. He was good at not simply putting pieces where I can take them, but unfortunately that wasn't enough.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains,

why are both you and your sister currently on massive (~100 pt) rating downswings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno haven't played in years. Right before I stopped playing I was like 2500 and played a few filler games in a tournament I run. A filler game is when you aren't even playing in the event and you play against someone who is, probably not the ideal conditions to play chess. Anyway I managed to lose all 3 times to lower rated opponents, dropping my rating like 40-50 points almost.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
curtains,

about what uscf rating would you estimate a player would have to carry to be 50/50 with you playing down a knight? down a rook?

[/ QUOTE ]

Knight: 1400-1500?
Rook: 1200-1300?

Random guesses could be off easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too low for even money odds. These would be more like 85% you. Course that IS even money for a n__. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Less nerdspeak, more prop bets plzkthx.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for raptor

"One of the best lines from the chess match #1:

Durrr: damn I screwed up back there, if I didnt make that mistake I couldve won this one.

Curtains: Now let's not get carried away."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM

what is the best way to learn chess fast and get prettty good at it, assuming you have very little prior experience, know nothing techincally, but pick stuff up extraordinarily fast
Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM

curtains i always thought a real fun idea would be something like this on ICC:

Give GM's something like 20:1 odds against one of the toughest comps on there at a blitz game. I like watching top players get destroyed by the comp, would be even more fun if there was money involved. Too bad you can't bet money on ICC.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:49 PM

speaking of chess and grandmasters, check this gangsta shiet out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZmpsl3jI0