Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Default 4/180 hand with 66

OK, This is right after the first break of the 4/180. I am in the BB and hold 66.

Stacks
me~11.5k (chip leader)
Villian~7k

Villian doesnt make alot of sense to me. Anytime he raises, he raises to 5 BB, no matter what, limpers, no limpers. Havent seen him re-raise anyone yet and he has yet to show anything down except one hand (AQ i think) with top pair on a very simple board. Villian raises his standard huge raise to 1000 on 100/200 blinds. Folds around to me in BB. I flat call with 66.

Thoughts on the call?

Flop is 348 rainbow.

I check planning to check raise, and villian bets out 3300 into a 2100 pot, leaving about 3500 behind. I have him covered (with about 4k to spare), but what do I do here. This is about the best flop I could hope for, but does it look like he has an overpair bc of the UTG raise, or he whiffed AK/AQ because he bet 1.5x the pot?

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: 4/180 hand with 66

I'd fold PF and to that flop bet. A small PP OOP is not the place to put this guy to the test. An occasional larger than usual bet can be a bluff from a lot of villains, but usually when people do it constantly they have good hands and are afraid people are going to "draw out" on them (because it's riverstars, or their opponent always hits on the turn, whatever.) I mean you have given no reason to think he's raising light, and no reason to think this flop bet is light, so why are you stacking off with 66?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:55 AM

agree with dunk ... I'm folding this preflop

before I know what I would call/raise with I'd need to have a better feel for villian, how often he gets into pots and such. Maybe a better idea of his range and such
Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM

Calling PF is bad, because villian only has a total of 7K so you can't play for set value at all. If he was LP I'd want to reshove, effective stacks of 7x his raise is a good size to reshove in, but UTG you have to give him some respect & fold.

As for the flop, you have a small PP and effective stack sizes of 3x pot, and you aren't the PFR, which makes this hard to play which is the reason why you shouldn't be in this spot
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM

If you're going to call here pre, you need to lead out with a stop and go. The good news is that he will call with AK, etc. and you will be way ahead. The bad news is that you'll get called by overpairs, etc. which big raises in EP just...are a lot.