Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: TomG\'s Robot Professional MLB Betting

OK, I sort of have something similar set up so I'd liket o share my lines here, too. Maybe as a comparison of systems, I guess. I have 20 cent lines at BetEd so that's what I'll be using compared to my lines.

For the early games, I have:

Marlins @ BetEd -165. I have them at -178.
Cleveland @ BetEd -125. I have them at -178.
Toronto @ BetEd -118. I have them at -155.

I stay away from the Detroit game because I'm still worried about Kenny Rogers. I just set up this system so here's hoping we have a winner.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM

How do you have Cleveland at -178 with Byrd pitching? I jumped all over Oakland at +112, and I think this is at worst a coinflip and at best Oakland should be a slight favorite.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Honestly, I was a little suprised by that too. By the numbers, there really isn't much difference in Byrd and Blanton. At least, based on FIP there isn't. The reason the line gets so skewed is because I have Cleveland's offense at nearly a run per game better than Oakland's. Plus the little bit of HFA and that's how I got that number.

Remember, don't take these for gospel or anythi0ng, I'm working the kinks out. I don't necessarily agree with the picks, but I agree with the math.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Agreed -178 on Byrd seems very skewed. I'm with New001. If anything I'd lean OAK on this because the numbers have Blanton as a far better pitcher than Byrd. Florida is a good bet that I agreed with @2 units (easy for me to say now @5-0 in the 3rd). -155 on Burnett also seems high to me. I didn't think there was an edge in that game, but good luck. It will be interesting to compare picks.

[Edit: 'Far better' is definitely an overstatement, and I don't have CLE's offense with as big of a lead over OAK--which is surely the difference]
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM

With the Toronto game, it looks a lot better as a dime line @ -145, in my opinion. That's the problem with these 20 cent lines, they really put a heavy price on the favorites.

Back to the Oak/Cle game, Blanton's FIP is about .75 runs better than Byrd's this year, but I also factor in the previous 3 years stats too. Basically it regresses people that are performing out of line of their past. With Blanton, it is possible he is just becoming a better pitcher. Coming into this year, their three year split FIPs were seperated by only 0.03.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Completely agreed on the past stats/regression. Although I do believe it does look like he's becoming a better pitcher. Certainly having a better year than Byrd (for all that's worth).
Old 06-28-2007, 01:28 PM

Yeah, Blanton is definitely having a better year, bar none. This will be one of those things I'll keep an eye on as the system progresses...finding the happy medium in regressing this year's stats to past performance.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Well, I ran the numbers for the rest of the games today.

They will be listed as follows:

Pick : BetEd Line : My 20c Line: My 10c Line: "Value"

For value, I took the BetEd line and turned it back into a winning percentage and compared it to my system winning percentage. The different between the two is the value. Not sure if "value" has any value yet though. Haha.

Dodgers : +132 : +131 : +131 : 0.2%
Phillies : -157 : -171 : -161 : 2.4%
Orioles : +160 : +128 : +128 : 5.4%
Cardinals : +168 : +123 : +123 : 7.5%
Devil Rays : -140 : -217 : -207 : 11.8%
Astros : -170 : -191 : -181 : 3.1%