Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Default Re: LC: We\'re playing SNGs-are we idiots?

I honestly think the games are a lot softer then they were 6 months ago. I see 3+ players with V$IPs of 35+ by end of level 3 at nearly every game. I play 27s at Stars at Euro primetime btw.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But anyhow: especially "post Frist", the "good players" have been fleeing from the SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is PS specific. With PP advertising heavily in Europe there has been a new influx of inexperienced players.

My PT stats (sample size 4000+):
Pre Frist ITM 40.69% ROI 23.31
Post Frist ITM 38.55% ROI 25.19

This is for $55s, since the main problem now is that it takes forever for the $109s/$215s to kick off, whilst the $530s only ever fill on the weekends & then only rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt take 'forever' to get the 109s/215s started - party allows 12 tabling and I could definitely fill my screen with 12 of the higher buyins during normal hours. I will call BS on your ROI numbers though - either that or you have snuck under the radar of my 24/7 idleminer or playing PT database.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 PM

find what works for you best. tourney selection or non-regulars, sets or continuous, buy-in levels, pokerstars or fulltilt, etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesnt take 'forever' to get the 109s/215s started

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that depends when you play doesn't it. I'm in Asia & playing now. There are no 215s & no 109 speeds running at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
I will call BS on your ROI numbers though

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 AM

Is it better money at cash?

I'm making one BI/hour single-tabling 6-man turbo STTs. If I switched to a cash game for the same bankroll, I'd be doing well to make 16BBs per hour, or ~ 1/6th of a BI - so I'd need to play 6 tables (at least) to achieve the same hourly rate. And if I could 6 table successfully, I'd still be better off doing it with STTs ...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm making one BI/hour single-tabling 6-man turbo STTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I don't believe that this is sustainable over a large sample size.

2) Play whatever game gives you more value.

2a) Value = a combination of proft, enjoyment, stability etc. that is unique to your preferences
Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm making one BI/hour single-tabling 6-man turbo STTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I don't believe that this is sustainable over a large sample size.

2) Play whatever game gives you more value.

2a) Value = a combination of proft, enjoyment, stability etc. that is unique to your preferences

[/ QUOTE ]

My sample size on these is pretty small for sure - over a hundred or so it's a 25% ROI and 15 minutes per tourney. The ROI is consistent with results on 10 man tourneys over a much larger sample, but I can't say for sure it's sustainable on these yet.

A 25% ROI isn't remarkable at lower buy-ins. Any time I've tried to do the calculations, I always get a lower return from cash for the same bankroll.

For example, say you have 20 buy-ins for $10 STTs - that's 20 buy-ins for NL10 - blinds are 10c and you can expect to win about 16BB per hour if you do well (assuming 6MAX and 100 hands/hour) - so a max of £1.60/hour/table.

In that hour you could play 2-4 STTs depending on format, investing $22-$44. Let's say you only get 2/hour, investing $22. That $1.60 you won on the cash tables is 7% ROI - you ought to be able to beat that even at fairly high limit STTs.

If you multitable, the effect is multiplied because, in general, people seem to be able to add more tables more easily for STTs than cash.

So - I don't think my results are remotely spectacular, and even assuming fairly spectacular results from cash, I don't see how it's less profitable to play STTs.