Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: If you are a male and you can hit the ball, Play from the back tee

We went golfing the other day, we were stuck behind 3 groups. First group was 3 guys who were decent but a little slow, next group was 4 guys that were baaaaaad, almost as bad as I am, and they were all hitting from the tips and it was rediculous. They would drive their ball straight into the dirt and it would land in the rough just in front of the lady's tees or they'd hit it OB. Next group was 3 asians, 2 guys and a girl. The guys were hitting from the tips and doing the same thing as the second group. It was frustrating knowing that if they moved up they might not be having to hit 3 shots to even get to the fairway.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe that a player from any appreciable tour would come here and flaunt said credentials in not-so-thinly veiled brags wrapped in arrogance. I mean, if so, great but I still think you've come across as being 1.) wrong about tour playing speed and 2.) incredibly pompous. Good work.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he's not wrong when saying a player taking 4-6 minutes for one shot on tour is very, very rare.
I'm talking about from the time they get to their ball and it's their turn to hit. 4-6 minutes from that point is certainly not a common thing at all.

As for him acting like a douche...that leads me to believe he may in fact be a pretty good golfer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for him acting like a douche...that leads me to believe he may in fact be a pretty good golfer

[/ QUOTE ]

Point conceded.

With regards to time, please explain how, as previous posters have pointed out, PGA tour rounds are lasting 4.5 to 5.5 hours. Also, there does indeed seem to be a lot of bitching by certain tour players behind the scenes about slow play. I was watching the Euro PGA event that Fasth won last week on TGC and he kept standing over the ball for some time then backing off. The commentator made a comment to the effect of "C'mon Niclas, hit the ball. He does not play at the pace his name implies."
Old 06-27-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for him acting like a douche...that leads me to believe he may in fact be a pretty good golfer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
How in the world have I acted like a douche? The only, only reason I mentioned my history was to lend credibility to my statements rather than just some random poster disagreeing with a point. Would you not tend to believe one who has actually been in the trenches with them or one who has not?

Notice I have never posted "what I shot today" or in any other category in this forum. I just happened to see a statement that was blatantly inaccurate and insulting to me and my brethren and responded.

BO
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM

out of curiosity, are you referring to the whites or blues as the back tees, or even black in some cases. I don't believe I have ever played a regulation course where it was much less than 6000 from the white tees though. And there is no way I playing a course over 7K while also enjoying my round too.

Of course, ymmv
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How in the world have I acted like a douche? The only, only reason I mentioned my history was to lend credibility to my statements rather than just some random poster disagreeing with a point. Would you not tend to believe one who has actually been in the trenches with them or one who has not?

Notice I have never posted "what I shot today" or in any other category in this forum. I just happened to see a statement that was blatantly inaccurate and insulting to me and my brethren and responded.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...let me explain what I meant.

I personally didn't think you were acting like a douche. You just feel strongly about your opinion, and to some, you came off the wrong way.

Substitute "douche" with "cocky" maybe...I dunno.

Either way I do agree with your side of the arguement more than the other.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for him acting like a douche...that leads me to believe he may in fact be a pretty good golfer

[/ QUOTE ]

Point conceded.

With regards to time, please explain how, as previous posters have pointed out, PGA tour rounds are lasting 4.5 to 5.5 hours. Also, there does indeed seem to be a lot of bitching by certain tour players behind the scenes about slow play. I was watching the Euro PGA event that Fasth won last week on TGC and he kept standing over the ball for some time then backing off. The commentator made a comment to the effect of "C'mon Niclas, hit the ball. He does not play at the pace his name implies."

[/ QUOTE ]

If a tour player takes 72 shots,and they average 5 minutes per shot, it would take them 6 hours to play a round of golf.

4 minutes = 4.8 hours

This doesn't account for time spent waiting for others to hit. Or time waiting for the group ahead to clear the green on par 5's when going for it in two.

I don't really know where I'm going with all this, lol. This whole arguement is pretty stupid if you ask me.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 PM

sooooooooo is this thread about what tee's people play from?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Well, I don't think anyone is arguing that tour players average five minutes per shot. Think of the number of tap in putts that would considerably decrease the overall average. I think it's mostly approach shots, short shots, and tricky putts that are causing the problem. Also, it's true that waiting to play is slowing down rounds, but this is caused by said slow players?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:51 AM

guys, im not sure. but i think they have to walk to their shots too............or am i wrong?

also, 4.5-5.5 hours is long, but go to a high school or amateur golf tournament...........6-7 hour rounds are not that uncommon.

and as for the people taking 3 shots to get it to the fairway, those are not the people i was trying to make my point too. those people probably should be on the range or the Junior tees.