Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

[ QUOTE ]
good thing rivera was all rested for his appearence in the 8th tonight - we needed those outs

[/ QUOTE ]

not only that, but lol at francona using papelbon in a tie game at safeco when he could have rested him up for a save situation.

argh.. so angry at yankees.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good thing rivera was all rested for his appearence in the 8th tonight - we needed those outs

[/ QUOTE ]

You are telling me.

I was at the game tonight and I exploded into this huge rant about how retarded it was to not use Rivera last night and use him tonight... all the dumb O's fans in my section just stared at me blankly.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My assertion that bringing in your closer with a lead to close the game does not contain a hidden assumption about bringing in your closer in a tie game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buh? If I employed a non-sequitur, it's not in the part of my post that you just quoted. My point, and everyone else's, was that the "d% increase in getting a win" never materializes if Proctor loses the game in the 9th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen and Listen good: Bud Black brings Trevor Hoffman into the 9th inning in games when leading by 1 run because to do so increases his chance of winning in the 9th by d% over his next best option. (By one school of thought) this is valued slightly more than Hoffman's d% edge over the next best option in extending a tied game in the 9th inning on the road.

Notice that nothing in that sentence explicitly or implicitly refers to or hinges on the 25th of June or Scott Proctor's ability to get out of the 8th or 9th or any other inning on the 25th of June or any other date for that matter.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was at the game tonight and I exploded into this huge rant about how retarded it was to not use Rivera last night and use him tonight... all the dumb O's fans in my section just stared at me empathetically and embraced their children while I cleaned the spittle off my chin .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A mediocre team that needs ~500 innings from it's bullpen finally realizes that trying to find "the best" 75 innings for it's closer is a fool's errand. Good for Joe.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:20 AM

Gotta be painful to watch. OPS of all Yankee hitters last eight games:
A-Rod: 1.176
Jeter: .864
Cabrera .838
Posada: .673
Cano: .508
Cairo: .476
Damon: .438
Matsui: .432
Abreu: .308
Phillips/Thompson/Nieves: .308

Damon is DHing, but considering him as the center fielder, the outfield of Damon, Matsui, and Abreu is a composite 11 for 80.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 AM

I have a few general comments that I will hang on Andy's post just because it will be more annoying that way. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

First, the title of this official thread should now be modified to just: Yankees - BUSTO.

Second, usually I would wait until the All-Star Break before twisting the knife, but the Yankee’s Mystic doth cause me to ignore this sacrosanct rule of etiquette.

Third, numbers mean something but money means more. George has deep pockets - perhaps he should buy Oden from the Portland TrailBlazers. Anyway, the wheels are churning even now as to how George can salvage the season with a liberal dose of cash and shady backroom deals. Rots of Ruck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fouth, The Diamondbacks and Mariners are more fun to watch and have a better chance to get to the WS than the Yanks. But you already knew that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Second, usually I would wait until the All-Star Break before twisting the knife, but the Yankee’s Mystic doth cause me to ignore this sacrosanct rule of etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhh, you USUALLY wait till the All-Star break. Good one sir, good one. It's especially good since, you know, the Yankees have made the playoffs the last 13 years. But yea, usually you wait till the All Star Break to twist the knife, but I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do right?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM

I know they don't have a good team, but the assembled multitudes here haven't recognized the facts. The team's power is being generated by only one player. Before, Sheffield and Giambi supported A-Rod, and, of course, they're now gone. Damon, Abreu, and Cano, despite their big names, are stiffs. Cabrera and Cairo, despite their small names, are stiffs. Matsui is in a slump. That means three guys have been supplying all the offense and one of them is not a home run hitter and the other will wear down in the second half, as he usually does, since he's a catcher. And he's now a thirty-five year old catcher.

The pitching features a ninety-year-old future HOFer, and two seventy-year olds, one of whom has been terrible all year, one guy from Taiwan who's pitched very well, a Yankee Clippard who belongs in double-A ball, and a thoroughly medicore relief corps anchored by a fifty-year old closer being completely mismanaged by the hundred-and-twenty year old manager.

Still, can they go, say 51-30 the second half and sneak into the post-season as the wild card? Not impossible. But highly unlikely. This team reminds me of the 1965 team that was coming off of five straight World Series appearances and had Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford and Elston Howard and went 77-85.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM

andy:

what you're failing to recognize is that cano, abreu, and damon are all absurdly underperforming expectation. when you consider that abreu isn't ridiculously past his prime, and neither is cano - this is surprising. this wasn't at all expected, even if you throw a giambi injury into the equation. even with their batting averages being low, what's really been missing has been the power - cano has 3 HRs, abreu 4, and damon 5. all three are basically 20 HR guys.

as for pitching, clemens has had some good outings, has just gotten some bad luck. last night was awful (the yankees never struck out a batter), but the yankees could've won that game had they been able to hit.

the yankees desperately need to get a 1b in here who can hit. a DH who can hit would be nice - johnny damon is a -VORP DH, but that ain't happening. i just thank the baseball gods that andruw jones is having a terrible season.