Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Default $1500NL - WSOP Event 27 - Table Bully and Unknown 3-way

Hero: t5250 - TAG and card dead. 100/200. 3rd orbit at new table, haven't played a hand yet. In SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain1: UTG, t25K and CL, LAG, opening EVERY pot when first to act, folds to resistence, typical bully.
Villain2: in CO, t5000, middle age female, quiet, no reads.

Villain1 UTG pops to t800 as expected. CO smooth calls. Hero calls. Pot = t2500

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero probes with t1000.
Villain1 calls t1000.
Villain2 raises to t2000.
Pot = t4500.

Hero?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: $1500NL - WSOP Event 27 - Table Bully and Unknown 3-way

Shove preflop!

As played, shove.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shove preflop!

As played, shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked her stack preflop and saw I had her barely covered. I tanked before smooth calling and came up with the fact that she's a total wild card. I don't think she had played a hand since I had sat down either. So I had her on a strong holding but almost shoved PF to isolate anyway. Her response to my probe bet was about as bad as I could have hoped for. Is it me or is this a scary bet from her?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 PM

If this was a lower buy-in tourney and a women did that I'd fold in a sec - they are just too passive to raise without a monster. I would have definitely shoved PF. That raise is so small... she is either bad or wants action with her set of 10's. Since you didn't say this was a "known" female player, I'd assume the worst and fold - she hasn't played a hand since you sat down! If she is observant, she knows the same about you - you are beat! A10 minimum, and I expect to see a set.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this was a lower buy-in tourney and a women did that I'd fold in a sec - they are just too passive to raise without a monster. I would have definitely shoved PF. That raise is so small... she is either bad or wants action with her set of 10's. Since you didn't say this was a "known" female player, I'd assume the worst and fold - she hasn't played a hand since you sat down! If she is observant, she knows the same about you - you are beat! A10 minimum, and I expect to see a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is assuming a bit much I feel. Also, your 3-orbit sample size against this woman is pretty small.

As played, and without a better read, this is a shove right?
$1500 WSOP tourney or not?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 PM

I like the call out of the SB with AQs. I'd check it OOP to see what the action happens behind me. I don't think the "probe" is needed IMHO.

There's no reason the UTG can't wake up with a hand here...and you have no read on the CO. You shove before the flop and it's off to the races at best.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no reason the UTG can't wake up with a hand here...and you have no read on the CO. You shove before the flop and it's off to the races at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the smooth call PF instead of the almost knee-jerk shove. I knew I could generally depreciate the CLs holdings because of his maniacal behavior so far and for 20% of his stack I liked my FE. It's that darn wild card in the CO that caused me to just call.

Now, if I had checked this flop OOP I end up calling a lot of bets from either player here and I've still gained no info on where "I" stand in the hand and it's still 3-way action and I'm still OOP. Hence the probe.

My question, really, is to what extent I'm supposed to listen to what the wild card is telling me with her min raise. Appearance-wise I can't describe her as overly "anything". If forced to guess I'd have to put her in the "tight/passive" catagory which is what made this min raise so scary.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM

you can just fold or push, but never call, if UTG bets and CO raises without ever putting in 25% of your stack with AQ w/o the probe bet...

if "crazy" UTG bets, and "wild card" CO min-raises, you should know where you stand IMHO...
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this ran through my head while I contemplated her min raise. Tough spot for my tournament life. Prolly why I'm still replaying it.

I'm glad to hear the consensus that this was a PF shove though. That was the initial question in my mind right afterwards. She'd have to have a monster to call all-in and I would have expected a re-raise PF from a monster so I should have felt good about my FE.

All good points. Thanx.