Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Event #39 - 50K HORSE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand why the tournament structure isn't finalized until after the majority of players have registered. They could easily have a program setup that adjusts the size of starting stacks and the speed of the blinds as more players register.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because if there weren't a set structure announced, no one would register, because players have this kooky idea that they should know the details of the event before they put their money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think people wouldn't register if you told them "50k in chips, 100-200 blinds to start, levels will be 30 minutes to 2 hours long, depending on number of entries?"

---edit---

And I'm not trying to be an [censored], I'm really just asking. I honestly don't think that most people know all of the info about a tourny, and would understand the need for that flexibility if they were putting 50k down to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

the nevada gameing commision has to aprove all of the structures they can't be changed once they have been submitied to the ngc
Old 06-27-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

"I wonder how ESPN will portray him?"

I've ripped on ZJ plenty in the past, but even so, his misdeeds and attitude are far from worthy of mention and singling out in a telecast like this. While he has made some mistakes, he is far from one of the really bad guys in the game. If they start covering sleazy things that players have done including ZJ and anything worse, one can only imagine what the telecast would be like. Pretty fun, I guess!

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the only way we get to hear about that lost weekend with Kaplan and Travolta back in August '78.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm choked Allen Cunningham went from top 5 in chips to busto in 3 hours yesterday. I think that's a testament to the structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just look at Daniel N's stack if you want an idea of the structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Donkaments.

Last year was too much like a cash game--long hours, slow structure, and deep stacks. Too much like an actual test of skill.

They HAD to change it! They need to random people to win to make it popular with the masses. If it were the same people winning all the time, then the sport would die, just like in all other sports and competitions.

LOL Harrahsments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're going to find too many random people in a $50,000 buy-in tourney. Sure, there will be a few rich guys who want to try it, but it's not like a $1,500, 2,500 player event.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:06 PM

that`s why it is $50k buy-in to avoid all sorts of Jamie Gold, Moneymaker and others.. Event like this should attract only the best players in the world. And in my opinion $50k HORSE has to become some sort of Main Event just because the most skill is shown in this game. World champion of poker must come from HORSE other than that crapshoot of $10k NL Holdem.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:23 PM

I agree that the structure is horrible. Today (Day #4) should only last 2 hours to go from 21 to 8. With blinds at 20K/40K (5K Ante), several players (including DN) don't (or barely) have enough for one full game of betting.

One game of hold'em (with no raises): 5K (Ante) + 40K (Pre) + 40K (Flop) + 80K (Turn) + 80K (River) = 245K!!

DN has 149K ... doh
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Matusow lost about a third of his stack to Filippi on the very first hand.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM

And Daniel is gone ... told you guys. Today will last 2 hours at most. Not really a 5 day event if Day 4 is 2 hours, and Day 5 (final table) is 1 hour.

Lame lame structure.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Why is everyone surprised that limit games make for bad tournaments. You do know why the ME was played as a NL game back when no one ever played NL, right? Limit sucks for tournaments.

I like the idea of a 50k horse event, and I'm really, really looking forward to ESPN's coverage of this event. I think it will be a big success, I think the average poker fan wants to watch/learn/play a variety of games and I think its great for the game.

That being said, can we please stop all the 50k Horse is the real main event non-sense?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Well I think the structure was better last year. I remember the final table still had plenty of play. Doesn't seem like it will be that way this year. And the fact that they tried to make it "longer" by calling it a 5 day is event is lame. Look at the blinds and look at the chip stacks. Today will take 2 hours or less is my guess. And the final table won't take very long either.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Where is everyone getting their updates from? Who else is busto so far today?