Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 07:41 PM

Default xterra (triathlon) training

xterra events are wilderness triathlons. 1.5km open water (maybe cold?) swimming, 30km mountain bike, 11km trail run.

I think I want to get in shape to do these. Right now I'm in decent, but not sports shape. I have a lot to learn for everything. I almost never run because I find it boring. I swim 3-5x/week if I can and am better than most but far worse than people who actually swim. I can typically do a 50m sprint in 35s. I just got a sweet new mountain bike and will ride as much as I can.

Is there anything I should be doing other than just going out and biking/swimming/running? My technique in all 3 could be vastly improved. How do I do this other than by practice?

Any suggestions for swim workouts, running stuff (anything, I know nothing), and bike technique (again, anything)?

Also, obv I will eat clean. If I'm very active should I shoot for 3500cals/day?

I am 18, 5'10 160, athletic build.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: xterra (triathlon) training

I am completely unqualified to comment on anything, but I'll pass on the thing I found most interesting in talking to my friend that finished a triathlon the other day. He said that the biggest problem was dealing with outdoor water and it's waves.

He practiced a ton in pools, but never in a lake.

I don't remember if he said he's going to alter his training , but it might not hurt to swim in a lake once a month or so?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 AM

In regards to what Lippy said...

A friend of mine did the same (trained in pools for a triathlon). Waves and water temperature (depending on region and weather of course) can make it a different experience as compared to the local lap pool. Just something to consider.

As for food intake... depending on your metabolism and what your body uses up depending on your training I can see your need for calories during training getting pretty darn high; it may be better after a while to go on feel instead of a totally strict number (whether you had a series of hard practices, feel spent, etc.).
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 AM

The xterra event they have here in Richmond is huge and very competitive. But it also gets a significant number of weekend warriors who take part. Everybody I now who competes in it or any of the side events says they had a great time.

As for training, you should be able to find a triathlon training club in San Fran. We have a club here and they seem to be a good group of people who do a lot of training events and help beginners out.

It sounds like you may have a good base for your swimming training. Your training for the other events should have a base developed as well, and then you will most likely progress to more specific training(intervals, LT workouts, etc).

There's also a site about xterra training: http://www.xterraplanet.com/training/ . You may get some good input there and even find others who are training for this.

I can't speak to the other events, but for mtn biking skills, riding is great. Riding with better riders or a group is even better. Pay attention to what they do - when they shift, when they get out of the saddle, how they take turns, how they negotiate technical sections, etc. Ask questions and actually WORK on skills. Remember being a kid and spending hours with your friends on bikes kicking your back wheel out into a can on the street and trying to hop curves? Putting that type of enthusiasm into bunny hopping, wheelies, cornering, and other skills will be beneficial. Just be careful that group rides fit with your training schedule since they sometimes turn into mini competitions with guys trying to hammer each other.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 PM

I did my 1st tri this past weekend. The open water swim (ows) was definitely the hardest part. Do an OWS or two before the event. It is nothing like the pool. Also, if you are going to race in a wetsuit, then train in a wetsuit.

Sounds like with the proper training program you will be fine for the bike and run. Make sure to do a couple of bricks before the race. Those are runs right after a bike ride. It helps your legs adjust to the transition.

As mentioned, find a club or training partners and have a blast.