Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 AM

Default ferguson $1 MTT

im in late position with with QhTh and a stack of 1,395 blinds are 15/30. folds to me in late position I limp. Button(villian) limps SB folds BB raises to 60, everyone calls. Flop comes Kc Jh 9C.
I lead out 180 into a 210 pot. Villian calls evreyone else folds. Turn comes 4C. I lead out 570 to see if he has the flush. V calls. River is x I check he bets 30 I call. V has KJ I win. Should I have checked on the turn?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: ferguson $1 MTT

if you are leading to find out if he has flush, why lead so much that you commit yourself to a push?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:59 AM

true. I didnt think about that but I felt that he had nothing as he just called my flop bet. I figured if he was chasing maybe i could get him off of it
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 AM

Umm there's a whole lot of stuff wrong going on here. First, not crazy about open limping from the CO, but it's not a huge deal. Flop bet seems excessive...I don't mind leading, but bet like 120-150 or something. Same on turn...betting the whole pot is pretty nuts, you're most likely losing one pair hands like KQ and AK (well it's a $1 tourney so probably not, but still, it's a bad play.) On the river there's no reason to stop firing...there's absolutely no reason to suspect a flush draw from villain, he almost always has a made hand. You got lucky because he had top 2, but you would have lost a lot of value from lesser hands by betting this hard.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 AM

Thank you I thought i played it bad
Old 06-27-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you I thought i played it bad

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries that's what we're here for. It'll take some getting used to, but when you're betting try to think about what hands you're trying to get value from. Like in this case, you flopped the [censored] nuts. What hands can pay you off? Well, if villain flopped a set you're almost guaranteed to get it in because 1) he flopped a set and 2) there's lots of draws so he's going to want to play it fast. Second is the 2 pair hands, who are in much the same situation, although they're not quite as strong, and may be somewhat more spooked by a bad turn card. The hands you have to focus on are the AK KQ KT types of hands (maybe hands like AJ too, although it's doubtful a J is gonna stick around long on this board.) These are the hands that may give a lot of money if you play it right, but could also get spooked if you reveal the strength of your hand.

The way I'd play this is about 150 on the flop. If he calls, I'd bet about 350 on the turn. On the river, the pot is now 1200 and we have 850 left in our stack. It's gonna be pretty hard for him to come this far then fold on the river, so we'll get paid off a nice % of the time. It's the river bet that finally gives our hand away, but you'll be amazed at the amount of times someone can't fold top pair, or thinks you're bluffing, etc.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm there's a whole lot of stuff wrong going on here. First, not crazy about open limping from the CO, but it's not a huge deal. Flop bet seems excessive...I don't mind leading, but bet like 120-150 or something. Same on turn...betting the whole pot is pretty nuts, you're most likely losing one pair hands like KQ and AK (well it's a $1 tourney so probably not, but still, it's a bad play.) On the river there's no reason to stop firing...there's absolutely no reason to suspect a flush draw from villain, he almost always has a made hand. You got lucky because he had top 2, but you would have lost a lot of value from lesser hands by betting this hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop bet is just fine. 150-210 is fine. Slow down on the turn. The river... depends on the player... some donkeys like that little bet to induce a bluff or re-raise when they have the nuts. I'm flat calling only because only the flush calls a big re-raise.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 AM

Maybe I am missing something...but what does this post have to do with anything named Ferguson?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 AM

I think it's the name of the tournament.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's the name of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. This is on Full Tilt daily at 1:30AM ET.