Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

Default \"So, I am a 9 to 5 dog\"

"I am a 9 to 5 dog"

From Doyle Brunson's Super System book, he is an extract and something I just don't "comprehend" at this stage in my poker career.

"Let's say I raised before the flop with a type of hand that's one of my favourites: small connecting cards that are suited. I'm in the pot with one player who called behind me. At this point, I put him on on a couple of big cards or a medium pair. That's all right. It's what I want him to have. Now here's what will happen if the following turn comes up:

Doyle: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] - Opponent: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

"With that Flop, I am going to lead right off and bet. If plays-back at me, I'm now going to be quite sure he's got two aces (or better). So, I'm about a 9 to 5 dog."

<font color="blue">Herein lies the problem - my naive poker mind doesn't comprehend how he works out that he is a "9 to 5 dog".

Can someone please explain this to me and if they have the time, post other working examples please.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

jamartin</font>
Old 06-24-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: \"So, I am a 9 to 5 dog\"

Plugging those cards into pokerstove gives 6h7h 36.869% equity. 5/14 = .3571
Old 06-24-2007, 03:09 AM

So what, Doyle is wrong?

I am looking for a manual way (I don't have a pokerstove ;-)) to come up with this type of figure when I am playing live or online.

Many thanks.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what, Doyle is wrong?

I am looking for a manual way (I don't have a pokerstove ;-)) to come up with this type of figure when I am playing live or online.

Many thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doyle is correct. '9 to 5 dog' = Doyle wins 5 hands for every 9 he loses = Doyle wins 5/14 (or about 36%) of the time.

Doyle has 8 outs for the straight here, and a back door draw for the flush which is worth about another out with two cards to come. A simple way to estimate your chances of winning with two cards to come is to multiply your number of outs by 4% (use 2% if there is only one card to come). So here, 9 outs = 36% chance of winning. Doyle is an old-school gambler, so he expresses that value in odds instead of percentages (and undoubtedly has these odds committed to memory). You should use whichever method you are most comfortable with.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An approximation technique (This may seem a bit complicated but it's really quite easy.):
If we call a simple out any single card that wins, and backdoor outs cards you need any two of to win you have:
(Simple outs * 400 + backdoor outs * backdoor outs * 8)/10000

8 straight cards (simple) and 9 flush cards (backdoor) works out to:
3200+648/10000=.38
Which is a bit high, but as close a Brunson's estimate.

Alterntively, you can memorize a value for each backdoor out count, and add that to 4% per simple out.

With one card to go, each out is worth roughly 1 in 50.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM

9 to 5 dog means that out of 14 of these situations the villain will win 9 and doyle wins 5.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM

also, get pokerstove. it's easy to use, easy to download(just search google for pokerstove(i think it's just pokerstove.com but i'm not sure)
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 AM

This is a not very subtle dig on those of us who have to work for a living isn't it?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:04 AM

Thank you for the replies, this has been cleared right up by those who contributed. I thank you, this "embarassing" question has finally been answered! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

p.s. If the last post before this is directed at myself, the answer is no.