Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Shoulder Exercises

[ QUOTE ]
If you overtraining your shoulders you shouldnt expect to see the results..you arent giving your muscles a chance!!!

Like I said..if you want to do some shoulder isolate...look up shoulder rehab exercises and do those to help keep the smaller stabilizing muscle strong...otherwise..between bench, standing military press, pullups and some rows your shoulders will see more than enough work for growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

See the issue for me is even though I might be over-training, I just think in general I see little results from these isolated exercises. It really has gotten to the point where I rather just rely solely on bench or push-ups for the majority of my shoulder routine. Even at times when I wasn't over-training, I saw minimal gains when doing these isolated workouts. I just hate having to workout my chest as well in order to see results with my shoulders. But at least with the advice in this thread I will start doing wide-grip pull-ups and see if this helps.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See the issue for me is even though I might be over-training, I just think in general I see little results from these isolated exercises. It really has gotten to the point where I rather just rely solely on bench or push-ups for the majority of my shoulder routine. Even at times when I wasn't over-training, I saw minimal gains when doing these isolated workouts. I just hate having to workout my chest as well in order to see results with my shoulders. But at least with the advice in this thread I will start doing wide-grip pull-ups and see if this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Compound movements are the key to growth. Why do you insist on trying to grow via crappy isolation movements? Why do you want to train the shoulders but not your chest?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Compound movements are the key to growth. Why do you insist on trying to grow via crappy isolation movements? Why do you want to train the shoulders but not your chest?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying these compound movements for myself do not lead to growth in the shoulder area. I would be fine to do them if I they gave me the results I desired, but they just don't. When I originally posted I should have been more clear about my routine and I do apologize for that. I should have been very clear that I have done the basic shoulder exercises and that I was looking for unique exercises that might help me out.

My goals at this time aren't to lead to an increase in chest size. I just like to see increase results in the shoulder area. I know for most people here they want to gain considerable mass and be huge, but I like my current body size except for my shoulders. It just annoys me that in order to see the results I want I have to work out a muscle group I have no desire to increase in size. Out of the exercises mentioned in the thread, the only one I never really did was the wide-grip pull-up. So maybe it will help.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying these compound movements for myself do not lead to growth in the shoulder area. I would be fine to do them if I they gave me the results I desired, but they just don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're not being clear at all. First you say the bench press (a big compound movement) yields better results for your shoulders better than isolation movements. Now you're saying they don't help. Which is it?

[ QUOTE ]
When I originally posted I should have been more clear about my routine and I do apologize for that. I should have been very clear that I have done the basic shoulder exercises and that I was looking for unique exercises that might help me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you still haven't posted your routine. Without knowing what you've been doing and for how long, no one can really help you. But based on this thread and what you're doing for your shoulders, my guess is that for the "several years" you've been working out it's been crappy MuscleMag routines off and on.

[ QUOTE ]
My goals at this time aren't to lead to an increase in chest size. I just like to see increase results in the shoulder area. I know for most people here they want to gain considerable mass and be huge, but I like my current body size except for my shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you just sound like all these girls that say, "Ooooh, I don't want to lift weights. It will make me all bulky." Weight gain is pretty easily controlled, and you can get pretty strong without getting overly huge.

[ QUOTE ]
It just annoys me that in order to see the results I want I have to work out a muscle group I have no desire to increase in size. Out of the exercises mentioned in the thread, the only one I never really did was the wide-grip pull-up. So maybe it will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

For God sake!!! The only one you haven't tried? You may have tried every single one, but if you're doing them all together with the wrong rest intervals and as part of a terrible program that doesn't mean anything. Also, the bench press is more of a "shoulder movement" than a "chest movement" anyway.

Again, my advice is to stop doing everything else for your upper body and just do heavy overhead presses 3x/week.