Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Advice on finding/interviewing a trainer

A bit of background: I'm 6'1" 250 mostly fat. I've been working consistently for about 6 months (lifting, boxing, and other cardio) 4-7 times/wk. For roughly 6 months before, I was doing less intense lifting/cardio (and lost ~100lb). I'm interested in getting involved in a good lifting routine, so I want to go with something of the rippetoe/star5x5 variety. I just bought Rippetoe's Beginning Strength and will read that. From what I gather, both guys recommend compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, etc.) and, frankly, i don't know how to do them and I don't want to hurt myself. I've tried to read descriptions online, but it's tough.

So I'm looking for a trainer to help make sure my form is good, and eventually I'll go it alone. There's a nice gym nearby that I'll probably join (the gyms i currently have access to won't really fill my needs). I'd like to use one of their trainers but I've heard horror stories of ignorant trainers on here so I was wondering if any of you can offer me advice on weeding out the bad ones and finding the good ones. Should I pick the gym, then the trainer or vice versa? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Advice on finding/interviewing a trainer

I've done squats, but since I'm heavy I can't do much weight and I feel like i'm going to fall over. Will this go away or should i wait until i'm of a more manageable size?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Just keep practicing good form with low weight and you will be fine. There are plenty of free resources on the internet where you can learn good form. Watching videos of squats/deadlifts is always a good idea. Also, you can tape yourself squatting/deadlifting and post it here to get some critique.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM

no problem with starting out just doing bodyweight exercises to get the form ingrained...
Old 06-26-2007, 01:38 PM

i've seen pictures of deadlifts, but i'm not sure how easily i can look in the mirror and tell if i'm doing it right. i'm sure you guys wouldn't suggest i just observe othres in the gym...

If my back hurts, don't i need someone to tell me either that i'm a pussy or that my form is wrong (and how to fix it?)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 PM

Look in your area for a good powerlifting gym, not a chain gym. Tell them what you want them to teach you. Just pay the daily rate plus the trainer's fee there. It shouldn't take more than a session or two to learn the movements correctly, then practice with low weight until you've got it down pat. In the beginning think of your sessions as practice rather than workouts.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:56 PM

that sounds smart, thanks. are there any good resoursces for me to find a good lifting gym? (i'm located in Philly, btw).