FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:10 AM

Default How bad did I play this?

Approximate stacks:

UG - $480 plus
Button - $260
Hero is in the Cutoff - $340

UG (Super post-flop LAG) limps
Hero has 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] raises to $10
Button (tightest player at the table) raises to $20
Blinds fold, LAG calls.
Hero Calls.

$63 in pot

FLOP:
4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]-5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UG checks
Hero Checks
Button bets $30
UG Calls
Hero check raises to $130

My read is Button has K-K or A-A, and is capable of letting it go. UG is on a heart draw...

So how bad is this line?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: How bad did I play this?

If he's capable of letting it go, then this is great. But that doesn't make any sense. usually the tightest players don't mean the best. it takes a better player to fold overpairs, so you're saying he's good?

finally, that min raise is really weird, maybe he's trying to build up a pot. flop bet is weird too.

well, you have 8 outs anyways.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Getting it all in heads up against an overpair here with dead money in the pot is not bad at all. Getting the overpair to fold is even better. But what about the lag? If you can't lose him, your hand isn't doing very well against an overpair plus a better draw. In my experience, getting players to laydown overpairs can be problematic. Your line looks a lot like a draw to me. Would you play a set the same way? Does your opponent know the answer to this question?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

[ QUOTE ]
If he's capable of letting it go, then this is great. But that doesn't make any sense. Usually the tightest players don't mean the best. it takes a better player to fold overpairs, so you're saying he's good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guess I wasn't clear in my orginal post, the button was very tight and essentially a nut peddler, who had only shown down two pair or better. My perception was the flop really scared him, which is why he made the weak CB. Mostly, I think the button was afraid of the LAG, b/c of his wide-open hand ranges, and had forgotten about me, so to speak.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you play a set the same way? Does your opponent know the answer to this question? ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I’ll usually lead into the preflop raiser if I flop a set. Regarding question two, no, he doesn’t know that. It was the first time I’d played with him, and I hadn’t played any big pots, in the couple of hours we’d sat together.