Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 AM

Default UIGEA and 270 days

I dont have great memory, but i do seem to remember something about the law having to be written within 270 days of the president signing the bill. I was wondering two things,

1 : When have those 270 days passed ?

and

2 : What happens if the law havent been written by that time ?

-wims
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: UIGEA and 270 days

[ QUOTE ]
I dont have great memory, but i do seem to remember something about the law having to be written within 270 days of the president signing the bill. I was wondering two things,

1 : When have those 270 days passed ?

and

2 : What happens if the law havent been written by that time ?

-wims

[/ QUOTE ]

next time you are thinking of starting a thread......don't.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 AM

why dont you go [censored] yourself
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM

Uh, the Act is the Law. We are waiting for the regulations instructing all the concerned parties on how to either enforce or abide by the new law. There is NOTHING magical about 270 days. It might be 278, 378 or 578 days.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, the Act is the Law. We are waiting for the regulations instructing all the concerned parties on how to either enforce or abide by the new law. There is NOTHING magical about 270 days. It might be 278, 378 or 578 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
i really hope it isn't 578 days
578 is my lucky number
Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Nothing has been publicly released, which is usually the first step. Then the agency will receive public comment and whatever regs will go into effect. At this point, we are all waiting.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM

From what has been opined in this forum by some very smart people is that there is no absolute day for the regs to be out. The UIGEA does mention a target date of 270 days from the date it was signed, but it is pretty obvious that the target time frame will be overshot .

The reason I am posting here is because I heard something today on NPR that made me think about the UIGEA regs and their delay. I didn’t want to start a new thread so I am going to put it here.

I started listening to NPR in the middle of a piece on immigration reform. The story reported that Bush is making a significant push towards passing the bill he endorses. One of the big holdups for him are conservative lawmakers, as Bush ‘s take on this issue is, actually, fairly liberal. One of these conservative lawmakers (forget name) said that there are a lot of good “deals” out there from the White House for anyone that will side with Bush on this.

(Do you see where I’m headed ?)

Kyl, Brownback etc. are conservative lawmakers who get there jollies from trying to shut us down. They have made no secret that they want tough UIGEA regs. Perhaps Bush is orchestrating the dragging of feet by Treasury in order to keep the regs as a bargaining tool in Bush’s pocket for as long as possible. To put it another way--” Senator Kyl, you want ACH transfers to be eliminated as a possible funding method for Poker Stars - I want you to support my bill -- lets work something out.”
Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Seems to me that immigration is a much bigger deal, politically speaking, than internet gambling. So I think (or hope at least) that support for immigration reform in exchange for tougher UIGEA regs would not be a good deal for the ultra-conservatives.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM

Actually it would be the other way around, last I saw Kyl was a big supporter and the folks in AZ were mad.

However, as a barganing chip as things stand it would have to wait till the House as no legislation is in the Senate now, only the potential regs.

obg
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 AM

there was no need to start this thread....reading back a couple of days even would have shown numerous threads on this topic, that was the point of my post.